Clicky

Houdah Software Forums

Author   Comment  
KipV

Adobe bridge has a really nice feature called compact mode that lets you all hide almost all the interface elements of a window and automatically shrinks the window down so that you can just view the files. This is helpful if you are wanting to drag a document into an applications window. The less interface there is the easier it is to drag a file into an application. It would be nice to have this feature in Houdahspot as well.
houdah

Hi!

Thank you for the feedback.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
Jono

If you go yo View > Hide Toolbar, and Hide Query Pane it's about as bare as any app.
KipV

That is true that you can collapse the window doing it that way but the advantage that Adobe Bridge still has over Houdahspot is that it groups three operations into one. It collapses the toolbar, then collapses the sidebar, and it then automatically re sizes the window to a smaller size all in one operation. When you have to do this operation several times a day it takes a long time to have to do all three operations and makes the task a bit tiresome to have to do over and over.
Jono

I use Keyboard Maestro for this, so just use 1 keyboard shortcut or 1 menu bar item.
KipV

Keyboard Maestro looks interesting it looks like it is kind of like Automator except that it works by executing shortcuts instead. However I still think that it would be better to be built right into HoudahSpot. I don't believe that people should have to use and pay for a separate app and learn the app to have to accomplish just one execution. Also the simplest solution would be to merely click a button to toggle between the two modes. The focus should be to make the task as simple as possible.
KipV

I made a video to demonstrate the way this feature works. It occurred to me that it is a bit hard to put what it does into words. It is especially important with HS 4 now that it has three sidebars. The point is that in ONE move all the sidebars collapse and the screen resizes. It is super beneficial if you need to drag and drop files into a program. Having a shortcut to do this is the icing on the cake. In Bridge it's command-return.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9YJ2-AJ0Ns&feature=youtu.be[/video]
KipV

For some reason the video didn't come up but be sure to copy and paste the link to see it.
houdah

Hi!

That looks interesting.

I wonder if a compact mode for HoudahSpot can be defined as clearly as it can for Adobe Bridge.

Is the info / preview part of the compact mode?
I guess it will often be. But not always.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
KipV

I think the fewer button and interface items you have in compact mode the better. Remember you are only one shortcut click away from going back to expanded mode to get at what ever advanced feature you need. The goal of compact mode is to have a large space of the screen available for dropping files and a HS window that is just big enough to be able to comfortably browse your files without feeling overly cramped.

The only things I would want in compact mode is the icon resize bar, the number of items of that particular search, maybe the search box, and a button for recent searches. I don't use Bridge's folder path, back/forward buttons, new folder button, I don't need the delete button since I already have one on my keyboard. I could probably eliminate about half of Bridge's buttons and make the interface even more concise.
KipV

I am so glad this feature got added in version 5! I love how when in compact mode you can choose how you want the compact window to be displayed and it will stay that way the next time you return to compact mode! I would bet a lot of people who use Adobe alternatives and therefore don't use Bridge would love this. Perfect timing with Affinity Publisher coming out, layout apps especially could really use this. I plan on using it with Quark which is one of my most commonly used layout programs at the moment.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.