Houdah Software Forums
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
gordonpeterson

is it possible to connect to a windows pc as a keyboard?
houdah

Hi!

Type2Phone can connect to any device that works with a Bluetooth keyboard. I can however not recommend it for non-Apple devices.

The keyboard layouts included with Type2Phone are designed for use with Apple devices. Other manufacturers map special characters and umlauts differently. I.e. when you connect Type2Phone to a Windows PC, you should be able to type letters and numbers, but will not be able to access some special characters, accented characters, etc.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
gordonpeterson

Hi. Thanks for the reply. So here's my situation. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3, and a MacBook Pro. I have remapped the input keys for the Surface Pro to reflect a Mac keyboard. This allows me to pair my Mac bluetooth keyboard to to my windows computer and use all of my normal mac shortcuts for the most part. 

Also, I currently use an application called ShareMouse that let's me share my keyboard/mouse over a WiFi connection. It is really cool, but has limitations based on WiFi/network connectivity.

I have tried to pair my MacBook with my Surface Pro, but it only recognizes it as a storage device. Is there any way when setting up the pairing to have it recognized as a bluetooth keyboard? 

I realize this might be a bit of an edge case, but if this is possible it could be amazing!

Thanks,
-gordon
houdah

Hi!

For the other device to recognise your Mac as a Bluetooth keyboard, Type2Phone needs to be running at the time of pairing.

If the devices have previously been paired, undo the pairing on both ends.
Open System Preferences > Bluetooth and make sure your Mac is "discoverable". Keep Bluetooth Preferences open.
Open Type2Phone and keep it frontmost.
Initiate a pairing request from the other device.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

gordonpeterson

Hi Pierre. Thanks for the clarity. It is getting really close to working. I removed the paring between both devices and opened Type2Phone. I then opened my system preferences > bluetooth and made sure bluetooth was discoverable. On my surface pro it recognized the mac as a keyboard. Awesome! I click pair, and it pops up the same pairing code on both devices. I click "yes" and "yes" the screen goes a way. The surface pro says it is connected. The mac says connected at first, but then changes to not connected. Type2Phone just says connection failed. I just looked at the pc again now it says "driver error". 

It feels like it is really close. It seems like the mac is not recognizing the surface pro as a device it can connect to. I use my apple wireless keyboard with the surface pro all the time. Any ideas? 

Thank you so much for your help. If we could get this to work I feel like it is the missing link to give designers the best of both worlds. It could be so awesome!

-gordon
houdah

Hi!

I have never seen this happen. My guess is that the Surface decides to close the connection, but I can't provide an explanation.

I have reports of customers pairing Type2Phone with all sorts of devices. The only real problem is that Type2Phone uses an Apple-style keyboard layout which does not work to well for special characters on non-Apple devices.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.