Clicky

Houdah Software Forums
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
KipV

I am starting to get how it works now. I think it makes the most sense for me to search by "Keywords & Tags". I just realized that the merge feature only applies to the search you are doing at the moment. It doesn't automatically merge all the tags on your computer when you select it. Therefore if I use another search app like Pixa or Finder that still only search one type of tag they will continue to only search that one tag type.
MikeT

I can see this is an old topic but my question relates to Mac Finder tags and the 'Keywords' metadata field present in image files.

I was very excited when I watched an old YouTube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-NUaVuIrjI
demonstrating the merging of Open Meta Tags and Mavericks Tags as this is pretty much what I want to accomplish. However when I tried to do it using HoudaSpot on a newer operating system, that function wasn't available.

I'm currently running MacOS Sierra 10.12 and the names of these metadata types seems to have changed but I still want this basic functionality. More precisely, I want to be able to take Tags that you can include at the file level (with the Finder) and insert/append that into the IPTC metadata field titled "Keywords" in the image file. Is that possible?

Also, if I find an older Mac running Mavericks OS, will the latest version of HoudaSpot, currently 4.3.4, give me the option to Merge data in these two fields?
houdah

You can still download HoudahSpot 3.9 and use it to merge OpenMeta and Finder tags.

HoudahSpot cannot edit IPTC metadata. You might be able to copy Finder tags to IPTC keywords using the excellent ExifTool (command line only)

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
MikeT

Thanks Pierre.

OK, I'll try HoudaSpot 3.9

Yes, I researched and found ExifTool as well but was hoping to find software with a GUI that could do this function.
That's why I got excited when I saw the video demonstrating this feature in HoudaSpot and was disappointed when I couldn't do the same with my configuration.

It seems I have more to learn regarding the differences with OpenMeta and IPTC.
levelbest

I don't know if it will help but, to mention it, I have hundreds of older photos and am in a lull with my photography at the moment. I will return to it eventually but, what I have found useful is to use HoudahSpot's ability to save template searches and in those, I have added criteria that the Finder can see such as camera model contains to show me what a specific camera took and also according to date ranges. 

That is, I use Finder tags now exclusively. I can add tags to photos using HoudahSpot. That does not directly answer or solve your issue with IPTC photo data but, setting it up using HoudahSpot has been working quite well for me. And, again, I am not currently active with generating new images just now so, your mileage may vary.

I now use FastRawViewer. I used to have  license for PhotoMechanic. FastRawViwer is much cheaper and is very very good. I only have JPEGs and no raw files so yes this works very well for more than raw files. FastRawViwer is what I use to edit my photo data when I want to go that route.

[FastRawViewer](https://www.fastrawviewer.com)
MikeT

Hi levelbest,

Thanks for your input and insights with FastRawViewer.

I also have and use PhotoMechanic on a regular basis but still find myself searching for a tool, with a graphical user interface, that will take finder level tags and write them to an IPTC, EXIF or XMP field.

So far, ExifTool is the only Mac software that I can find with this capability but its command line interface is less than ideal. The finder level tag data needs to be written into one of the metadata fields mentioned to be compatible with our production workflow so unfortunately I can't rely on just the finder level tags as you've been able to adopt.

The search continues...

Cheers,

Mike T.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.