Houdah Software Forums
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
creativitext

I have 2 computers on my network. One is running Sierra (10.12.6), the other is running High Sierra (10.13).  HoudahSpot is able to locate files on mounted drives on both computers, but the file path is blank for the one running High Sierra.  As a result I can't copy the file path which is critical to one of my workflows.  The mounted drives connect to my Synology NAS.  Any suggestions?
houdah

Hi!

I initially assumed that the problem is caused by an incompatibility between versions of Spotlight. I have since tested the following setups:

- Mac running High Sierra 10.13.1 searching a drive shared by a Mac running Mavericks
- Mac running High Sierra 10.13.1 searching a drive shared by a Mac running Sierra

In both cases, the file path shows correctly. There is no apparent incompatibility.

Which Mac is in charge of indexing the Synology NAS? I.e. is it directly connected to a Mac?

Do you use Synology software to manage the Spotlight index on the NAS?
Have you tried rebuiling the Spotlight index on the NAS?

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
creativitext

Thanks for the detailed response it sent me in the right direction.  I did some digging and discovered that Sierra exhibits a different behavior than previous OS X versions and does not index external volumes in the same manner as prior versions.

To fix this issue, I created the following directory as root: sudo mkdir -p /private/var/db/Spotlight-V100/Volumes/

And then re-enabled Spotlight indexing of that Volume: sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/name_of_your_volume

Now it is indexing correctly and the file path is appearing in HoudahSpot [smile]

houdah

Thank you for the update.

Your post will certainly be helpful to other High Sierra and HoudahSpot user.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
Danilushka

Thank you very much for the detailed answer on this issue.
I have a Synology and encountered this very problem and assumed it was an issue with a HoudahSpot update.
Mounted Synology volumes appear to be re-indexing now.
I plan to automate this with a shell script to make it simple to update this in the future.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.