Clicky

Houdah Software Forums

Author   Comment  
Me

Hi,

I upgraded to the latest HoudaGeo 1.4 on a PPC PowerBook with Leopard. When I open the iPhoto interface it shows the loading wheel for several minutes without any result. iPhoto itself works without problems.

I also have Lightroom with some photo's, could that be the cause of the 'not reacting' part? Should I keep it running over night to check?

I opened Lightroom while HoudaGeo was running the 'spinning loading wheel' thing and now my Lightroom catalog is broken, no more photo's in my Lightroom catalog!
houdah

Hi!

Sorry to hear you are having troubles.

You are right, the problem most likely comes from the Lightroom parser. Could you please check /Applications/Utilities/Console.app for error messages?

Which version of Lightroom are you using? Lightroom integration has only been tested with Lightroom 1.3.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
Me

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm using the latest version of Lightroom. I removed the Lightroom plist file in my user library and the 'Lightroom Database.lrcat.lock' file and now Lightroom works again. No harm done. That's a good thing but now I'm a little afraid to open HoudaGeo again.

I ran into disk quota issue last night, this may have caused the problem. I understand that that may have caused the silly behavior but still, it shouldn't destroy my Lightroom library. I cleared some space now the iPhoto interface still doesn't work.

This is the relevant part from the Console logger:

[CODE]12/01/08 05:37:58 HoudahGeo[3491] *** -[NSUserDefaultsController removeObserver:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x15edb0
12/01/08 05:37:58 HoudahGeo[3491] *** -[NSAutoreleasePool dealloc]: Exception ignored while releasing an object in an autorelease pool. exception: '*** -[NSUserDefaultsController removeObserver:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x15edb0' invoked method: '*** -[DocumentView release]' object: 0x1b0390

12/01/08 05:37:58 com.apple.launchd[124] ([0x0-0x18f18f].com.houdah.HoudahGeo[3491]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 3537 PPID 3496 sleep
12/01/08 05:37:58 com.apple.launchd[124] ([0x0-0x18f18f].com.houdah.HoudahGeo[3491]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 3496 PPID 1 bash
12/01/08 05:43:29 Adobe Lightroom[3558] assertion failed!
12/01/08 05:45:53 Adobe Lightroom[3558] assertion failed!
12/01/08 05:46:08 HoudahGeo[3546] *** -[NSUserDefaultsController removeObserver:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x15c380
12/01/08 05:46:08 HoudahGeo[3546] *** -[NSAutoreleasePool dealloc]: Exception ignored while releasing an object in an autorelease pool. exception: '*** -[NSUserDefaultsController removeObserver:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x15c380' invoked method: '*** -[DocumentView release]' object: 0x1b0420

12/01/08 05:46:17 Adobe Lightroom[3568] assertion failed!
12/01/08 05:46:37 Adobe Lightroom[3568] assertion failed!
12/01/08 05:48:59 Adobe Lightroom[3581] assertion failed!
12/01/08 05:49:10 Adobe Lightroom[3581] assertion failed!
12/01/08 05:50:05 AppleSpell[185] *** -[NSMachPort handlePortMessage:]: dropping incoming DO message because the connection or ports are invalid[/CODE]
Me

I can reproduce the problem:

1. A working version of the latest Lightroom
2. Open HoudaGeo and open the iPhoto interface
3. It keeps loading and loading and loading...
4. Close HoudeGeo and open Lightroom
5. Your Lightroom library is gone...

Restore your library as described above.
houdah

Hi!

My guess is that HoudahGeo grabs a lock file preventing concurrent use of your Lightroom library. When it crashes the lock is not release, thus preventing Lightroom access to its own library. That would explain why removing the lock file fixes the problem.

The real question is why HoudahGeo crashes. Obviously it should. And does not crash here.

Could you please verify the version of your copy of Lightroom?

Could you please send me a copy of your Lightroom .lrcat file (E.g. /Users/you/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog.lrcat)? This would help me investigate the issue.

Thanks for your patience.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Me

Pierre,

Lightroom version: 1.3.1 402355

I'll send you the Lightroom Database lcat file by mail. My Lightroom library is not stored on my local drive but on a USB drive because it's too large, may this be a problem?

Me

Pierre,

Any updates on this issue?

Thanks!
houdah

Sorry, for the late reply. I thought I had replied via email.

The cause of the problem seems to lie with a bug in Mac OS X 10.5 making it incompatible with images to which Lightroom has written XMP tags.

Mac OS X 10.5.2 should fix this issue.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Me

Thanks Pierre. Hoped to see the 10.5.2 update with Steve's keynote but it seems we have to wait a little longer. I'll get back to you as soon as the update is out.
Me

Pierre,

I downloaded the 10.5.2 security upgrade for Leopard today but the problem is still there. I opened HoudaGeo, clicked the book icon and waited 10 minutes. The "Loading..." message keeps spinning and my Lightroom library is locked again. It seems the 10.5.2 upgrade doesn't solve the issue...
houdah

Hi!

Could you send me a crash report?
What does the Console say at the moment of the crash?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Me

Pierre,

Here it is:

[QUOTE]16/02/08 11:52:06 HoudahGeo[351] MediaBrowserController.m:159 Queued 0 records
16/02/08 11:52:16 HoudahGeo[351] *** -[NSUserDefaultsController removeObserver:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x25aa70
16/02/08 11:52:16 HoudahGeo[351] *** -[NSAutoreleasePool dealloc]: Exception ignored while releasing an object in an autorelease pool. exception: '*** -[NSUserDefaultsController removeObserver:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x25aa70' invoked method: '*** -[DocumentView release]' object: 0x2af2e0
[/QUOTE]

Does this ring a bell? My Lightroom library has 1000 items or so and my iPhoto library 10000 items.
houdah

Hi!

I am sorry, this does not ring much of a bell.

Actually, these seem to be just warnings. Does HoudahGeo crash or just stop loading images?

These warnings actually seem to indicate that HoudahGeo was trying to close your project document. I assume that is not what you were doing. Either something is going really wrong, or these warnings were produced after the actual problem occurred. I.e. after you gave up on image loading and closed the document.

Actually the line "MediaBrowserController.m:159 Queued 0 records" tells me you dismissed the library browser by clicking OK. Thus the relevant log lines would have preceded this line.

Could you try narrowing it down to iPhoto or Lightroom? Just move either library out of the way and try again.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.