Clicky

Houdah Software Forums

Author   Comment  
csbdeady

I am trying out both HoudahGeo and Geophoto with a view to using both (they compliment each other quite well) and have observed something quite strange. When I ask HoudahGeo to write locational EXIF data to a file, and then load it into GeoPhoto that EXIF data is not loaded and GeoPhoto marks the photo as without location. BUT when I do the opposite - save EXIF data to a photo in GeoPhoto and then load into HoudahGeo the EXIF data is ALSO not read (the photo's entry appears in red in the list) and again the photo is not marked with location.

This is quite concerning as it gives me cause to doubt both products (ahh the joys of evaluating software!)

My camera is a Nikon D80, saving in Nikon RAW NEF at maximum resolution.

This is what I had hoped to do:
1) Use HoudahGeo to add the locational EXIF data to files via Google Earth;
2) Load those files into GeoPhoto;
3) Use GeoPhoto to manage the files AFTER HoudahGeo had performed its magic.

Can anyone advise on this? Or am I missing a trick here - can I for example, forget about GeoPhoto and just use Google Earth to show imags - NB: it is VERY important that I can be certain that those photos are not uploaded to Google hence I have been hesitant to explore this route.

My main concern is still that both apps seem to not be able to write EXIF data in a format the other can read - which given who knows what version of "Flibbity Jibbit Map Viewer" app I will be using in a decade from now makes me worried that the locational data I am adding in HoudahGeo won't be usable.

Any help most appreciated.
Regards
-Colin
houdah

Hi!

Thanks for your interest in HoudahGeo.

You may double-check the EXIF written by HoudahGeo using the Inspector window in Apple's Preview.app. EXIF is a set standard. You need not worry about your data not being readable in the future.

HoudahGeo has the option to "work on originals" when writing EXIF tags. With that checked, EXIF will be written back to the images you have imported into HoudahGeo. Otherwise HoudahGeo will create copies. Be sure to use the actual tagged copy for import into GeoPhoto.

I have just downloaded GeoPhoto for the very purpose of testing its capability to read EXIF tags. This worked fine for me: the photo was pinned just where I geocoded it to using HoudahGeo.

I could not test the reverse operation, as I cannot figure out how to write EXIF using GeoPhoto.

When you use HoudahGeo to export to Google Earth, it creates a KMZ file which contains your images. You can view this file using Google Earth. Only those who have the file get to see your image. I.e. you may send this file to friends, family, coworkers, ... or upload it to your server. If you don't your images are private to yourself only. They do not get uploaded to a Google server.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
csbdeady

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll give them a go. I had already set "write to original".

Okdoke here's my thoughts after a bit more trial n error:

HoudahGeo photo not writing to EXIF - well I think that this was due to me not quite reading the instructions of only writing to 3 images in a project during the demo (oops!)

GeoPhoto not writing to EXIF - hmmm... not sure but it /may be something to do with it writing to the original and not a copy of the file, ie: if I have a RAW and edit in iPhoto then the original RAW is duplicated as a JPG. If I write the EXIF to one, I am not sure it is being written to both. - I thought I saw this in HoudahGeo as well but am not sure.

Thus I think with you're help I've almost nailed this one - final question then, is what does HoudahGeo do if one drags the JPG copy that iPhoto creates of a RAW to HoudahGeo for step 1? Ideally one needs the EXIF written to the RAW and the JPG.
houdah

Hi!

iPhoto actually keeps two copies of each image: the original and the modified version.

What HoudahGeo accesses is the modified version. This makes sense if you are using HoudahGeo to publish your images (Google Earth, Flickr) or preparing them to be published: you might use publishing software down the road which reads EXIF/XMP.

When you get photos from iPhoto (or Aperture), writing back to the originals does not make much sense. You will modify a copy of the image which iPhoto will happily erase the next time you make modifications.

Thus we distinguis two workflows:

1. Content / Metadata creation: you want to attach metadata to your image so it travels the whole way along your processing chain. E.g. you want to use the metadata for sorting purposes in iPhoto or Aperture.

In this event, you need to bring your photos into HoudahGeo BEFORE bringing them into your image library. You might want to use Image Capture.app for this. Once you are done geocoding you will ask HoudahGeo to write EXIF tags to originals (if you have backups) or copies and then import the tagged images into iPhoto or Aperture.

2. Publishing: You have already fixed up your images, made a selection ... and want to publish them along with geo information.

You will use HoudahGeo to access your image library. Either the images have been previously geocoded, or you will apply geocoding only now. Once you have geocoded images in your HoudahGeo project, you will export those to Google Earth/Maps, Flickr or a third-party application.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

csbdeady

Many thanks Pierre, that really does help clarify things

For the excellent support that's one more sale you've made - I'm off to your online store now to purchase HoudahGeo.

Regards
-Colin
houdah

You are welcome!

Thanks,
Pierre

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.