Houdah Software Forums
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
kswanson

What is the expected behavior with iCloud Photo Library when local originals (e.g., raw files) have been updated with new timestamps and GPS location? I.e.,

1) What if no image original (raw or jpg) is local? Will I get a warning that my originals can't be updated?

2) If the original is local and successfully modified, will it somehow be pushed to iCloud Photo Library so that the raw file EXIF changes will be permanently retained even if the local library is perhaps optimized in the future? (This also ensures that other non-optimized system Photos libraries on other Macs have the correct/updated raw image.)

I'm a new user who's really enjoying the product!!! It's SO much better than trying to use the location feature of Photos 2.0. (I'm on 10.12.1 and as of today, HoudahGeo 5.1.2.)

cheers, Keith

More misc background:

When I now go back and reload photos that I processed this weekend (maybe a thousand originals were updated for both timestamp and location), I'm now seeing missing camera time zone icons. (One of my goals was to burn in time zone info into the raw files.)

If I now select "Reload Metadata from Files", some GPS location data that I'd added is now missing. (file is red again)

Over the weekend, this seemed to all be working fine (after processing, "Reload Metadata from Files" behaved as I expected).

Aside: I got quite low on space over the weekend and saw a message that iCloud Photo Library updating was paused due to low space. I selected ignore when prompted to enable an optimized photo library. 

I also ran a Photos Library repair over the weekend.

houdah

Hi!

HoudahGeo checks for original image files as you add the photos to your HoudahGeo project. You will get an error message when the original is not available.

iCloud Photos may decide to remove an original while you are working in HoudahGeo. In that case you will get an error message during EXIF/XMP export.

There is no way for HoudahGeo to trigger the download of the original from iCloud Photos.

With iCloud Photos, the photo library takes on more of an importance than in a traditional setup. As long as all your original photos exist locally - within the library or as referenced external files - applications other that Apple Photos can work with these files.

With iCloud Photos, the original images become more of a cache: temporary files that get downloaded when you needed. E.g. when retouching photos. Most often you will work with JPEG previews and metadata stored in the Photos library. This is always available and current.

I don’t know if iCloud Photos uploads changes made to originals that have been uploaded previously. From your observation it appears it does not. You may want to submit feedback to Apple if you need an option for Apple Photos to push updated originals to the cloud.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
kswanson

Repair Library may re-upload originals per the note in
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205069

FYI. I'm unwilling to test it right now due to my library size but I'll try it with my next repair.

I've also changed my workflow to use HoudahGeo on my RAW images before I add them to Photos so I can get the "burned in" GPS and timezones before upload. And I noticed that in HoudahGeo I can mix external folders containing RAW images along with iPhone photos within Photos that already have GPS data, so I have iPhone photos available for GPS reference during my tagging of the RAW images.

Great job on the TWiP Apps podcast. [smile]
https://thisweekinphoto.com/twip-apps-20-houdahgeo/

Cheers, Keith
kswanson

I've found that my locally geotagged RAW originals are not replacing the non geotagged RAW files that were originally uploaded to iCloud Photo Library (iCPL) after I trigger a "revalidation". 

Due to some SSD errors, I needed to restore my system drive from an external  backup drive. This triggered a multi-day revalidation of my local library against iCloud Photo Library. It got stuck the first time so I also "repaired" my Photos Library, which restarted the revalidation.

To find out if my locally geotagged RAW files had replaced the non geotagged RAW files in iCPL, I created a new account on another mac. I downloaded a Moment and found that the RAW files had no geotags.

And with limited spot checking, I've also found that my locally geotagged RAW files were *not* replaced by the non geotagged RAW files from iCPL during the revalidation. (However, further testing on a small library with iCPL would increase confidence that this is really true.)

My takeaway is that I need to be sure to keep "Download Originals" enabled on my primary Photos library Mac so the locally geotagged RAW files never get deleted off my machine to save space. And as mentioned above, I also now geotag before I import the RAWs into Photos.

Cheers, Keith
houdah

Thank you for the update Keith.

Pierre

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.