Clicky

Houdah Software Forums

Author   Comment  
countdrachma

I'm trying to see how HoudahSpot would work as a complete replacement for Outlook 2016's  search but it doesn't appear to map the receive date of any of the com.microsoft.outlook15.message types it finds.  The date fields are just blank and you therefore can't filter by any sort of date range.  Indexes the dates fine within Spotlight via a Finder search but doesn't appear to recognise the date metadata within HoudahSpot.

I'm running the latest 10.11.5 Beta (15F24b) version if that is of any relevance.

Is this a bug perhaps or something not supported?

Thanks in advance for your help.

houdah

Hi!

Spotlight relies on third party importer plug-ins to read proprietary file formats. Outlook includes such a plug-in to allow Spotlight to index message files. The plug-in extracts contents and metadata from the files and hands these to Spotlight.

Outlook however names the data fields differently from Apple Mail. E.g. it provides a value labelled com_microsoft_outlook_messageReceived. I assume this is the date the message was received. Thus HoudahSpot gives this the more readable name of “Message Received (Outlook)”.

Please check the Inspector pane in HoudahSpot to see what metadata is avaialble for a given file. These are the same attributes you can search by or add as columns to search results.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
countdrachma

Thank you so much for the explanation. That makes sense and now allows me to get a powerful search capability for Outlook much faster than Outlook's built in search.

Much appreciated!
countdrachma

Pierre, may I ask your assistance on one more thing please?  I have created a template for my Outlook searches and the top entry in the Refine criteria is Authors.  If I bring up the Houdah search bar and change it to the Outlook template, I want to have whatever I type here to be the Author parameter and not the generic search.  Hope that makes sense.  I suspect it is just a syntax thing in the way I need to do this but I tried author:[text] and it doesn't work.  

Would you be able to set me straight on what I need to do here to get that working?

Thanks.  I just purchased the upgrade to this now and think it is going to be an awesome value for my mail searching going forward.

Cheers
Dean
houdah

Hi Dean!

The short name “author” does not cover the “Author Email Addresses (Outlook)” attribute.
I will see how I can add the Microsoft Outlook attributes to the matching short names. Currently “author” covers author/contributor/composer/lyricist names, but not email addresses. The short name “email” covers both sender and recepient email addresses for App Mail messages.

You could use com_microsoft_outlook_author_email_addresses:[text]
Or you could go to HoudahSpot > Preferences > Advanced and set searches to open with keyboard focus on the first criterion.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

houdah

Hi Dean!

I have a new beta:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2381634/HoudahSpot/HoudahSpot4.2b2.zip

New in HoudahSpot 4.2:

- Faster text preview
- Two lines of text for file names in grid view
- Finder label colors shown in grid view
- Improved tag editor

“Short names” for the main search field have been updated to include attributes used by Microsoft Outlook.

- “author” covers author names (where available), but not email addresses
- “recipient” covers recipient names (where available), but not email addresses  (TO, CC and BCC)
- “mail” and “email” now include author and recipient email addresses for Outlook messages
- “to” now includes recipient email addresses for Outlook messages
- “from” now includes author email addresses

The Spotlight importer for Apple Mail does not make a distinction between to, cc and bcc recipients / addresses. All are considered recipients. The same behavior is applied when working with Outlook messages.

You can however use the criteria in the Refine pane to search to, cc and bcc addresses separately for Outlook messages.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

jdevaud

countdrachma - can you post your template for searching Outlook? I have just been forced into using Outlook on my Mac for business/technical reasons, and really need the power of Houdaspot to help me find things. The native search in Outlook is poor, as you have noted. Thanks!!
houdah

I have attached a HoudahSpot template to search Outlook messages. Use this as a starting point to create your own template. You will indeed have to update the template to match your Outlook version.

HoudahSpot searches the Spotlight index. This relies on importer plug-ins to extract content and metadata from proprietary file formats. Such importers are usually included with the application that owns the file format.

Microsoft Outlook provides a plug-in. It labels some metadata differently from Apple Mail. Also it appears that different versions of Outlook label message properties in different ways.

Check what your version of Outlook makes available for searching and how it is a labelled. Then update your search template.

1. Find an Outlook message using the template attached below

2. Select View > Details > Info to view the Info pane. See https://blog.houdah.com/2018/01/inspect-file-metadata-with-houdahspot/ 

3. In the lower section of the Info pane you will see what information is available and searcheable. E.g. "Author Email Addresses"

4. You can drag rows from the Info pane to the Refine pane to update your search

5. E.g. you will get a criterion that says "Author Email Addresses" "is" "john.doe@outlook.com"

6. To create a search template, you will want to remove the value text ("john.doe@outlook.com") so that the input field is empty when you re-open your search template

Best
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Attached Files
hstemp Outlook Mail Messages.hstemplate (128.00 KB, 10 views)

countdrachma

Sorry I haven't responded here guys.  Pierre, I appreciate the effort you have put in here to focus on Outlook.  The result is great and that template works very well.  I've gone back to using Mail now with Mojave as have become a bit of a sucker for the Dark Mode theme but am finding that Mail has a real issue with indexing some mail messages so regardless of whether I use Outlook or Mail, I find HoudahSpot still the most reliable method for searching!

Just as an aside, is there any plan to upgrade HoudahSpot to support Mojave's Dark Mode?

Thanks again for your great product and support.

Regards
Dean
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.