Houdah Software Forums
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
svoop

Hi there

GPSBabel has a few useful filters built-in, most notably the "discard" filter which zaps unreliable points:

http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.3.5/filter_discard.html

This could be a useful addon to HoudahGPS as - at least my - GPS mouse sometimes produces single points that are hundreds of miles away from the others and thus should be filtered. Looks kinda ugly on Google Earth :-)

Many thanks for considering this feature! -sven
houdah

Hi!

While a full-blown interface to GPSBabel's filter feature is beyond the scope of HoudahGPS, I agree that this particular filter should be made available in HoudahGeo and maybe also in HoudahGPS.

On the other hand, there may be other ways of smoothing out erroneous points. Not all GPS devices record data quality. Mine doesn't.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
svoop

I was actually looking for a simple "spark" filter on the GPSBabel webpage and couldn't find anything appropriate. To someone who's not at all fluent in GPS formats, it seems like a doable task to filter points which break out of the ordinary on the large scale. Given the coordinates, it should be reasonnably easy to calculate the airline distance and then kick the point if it differs more than a value set in the prefs (i.e. 5km if you used the tracker walking around). This approach would be independent from signal quality.
houdah

Hi!

That's actually something I have been planning on doing for some time in HoudahGeo. Will probably do in HoudahGeo 1.5.

This will however not make it into HoudahGPS. HoudahGPS is merely a wrapper around GPSBabel. It won't do anything, GPSBabel can't do.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

svoop

> This will however not make it into HoudahGPS. HoudahGPS is
> merely a wrapper around GPSBabel. It won't do anything,
> GPSBabel can't do.

Fair enough!

So far, I'm on the freeware path with GPSPhotoLinker which features a few things I see missing on HoudahGeo, most notably the ability to fine-tune linking options (tag an image if it falls within x meters or y seconds from the nearest recorded point).

However, it also falls short in some areas such as setting the most elementary EXIF tags like author and copyright. HoudahGeo can set the author, but I don't see where to define it, I guess it's taken from the current OS user. A "one step" solution which integrates setting author and copyright tags (or maybe even any kind of EXIF tag) on the fly certainly would save quite a bit of extra work and thus legitimate a switch to payware.

And last but not least, HoudahGeo has potential to support image services other than Flickr in the future - such as Panoramico or a high res service used by professionals.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a "do this and I buy" kinda post, just a few thoughts based on my daily work. I'll keep an eye on HoudahGeo for sure, just right now, it doesn't quite offer a killer feature (such as access to Babel filters and a spike remover) yet which would get me to switch.
houdah

Hi!

HoudahGeo gets the name of the current user from the Mac OS X Address Book.

HoudahGeo has a couple of hidden preferences which allow you to fine-tune the geocoding algorithm. Available settings are:

- gobbingLimit: Number of minutes by which to extend the search for tracks matching a given photo. This defaults to 5 minutes. A photo is considered to match up with a track if it falls within the track's time span of 5 minutes within the beginning or end of that time span.

- mergingLimit: GPS devices may start new tracks when turned on or after losing GPS signal. Strictly speaking we cannot geocode a photo that falls between two tracks. HoudahGeo however decided to merge two tracks if the time elapsed between the first track's end and the other track's beginning is less than 5 minutes.

- matchingLimit: HoudahGeo determines the location where a photo was taken by matching it up with two track points: one preceding and one following the time the photo was taken. If the closest point's timestamp is more that 10 minutes before or after the photo was taken, HoudahGeo considers there is no match and does not geocode the photo. A value of 0 disables this check.

BTW, HoudahGeo is on sale today at the [URL=http://www.mupromo.com/deal/490/ksHjYLZDPauM/houdahgeo]MacUpdate Promo site[/URL].

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.