Houdah Software Forums
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
levelbest

Following a comment earlier from another thread, I am redoing the attribute "keyword & tags" to just "tags". There is a check box to tic off when I have found "tags' so that it will now appear in the menu. And it does - but for one time only.

Every time I modify another search or choose a new search, why oh why do I have to go through this again? If I tell HoudahSpot, yes, put this deeply buried term in my menu from now on, why does Houdahspot interpret this as, in the menu but just this once?

This has been going on for a long time now, and it is really getting tiresome. Especially now as I am going back over a dozen saved searches and having to redo each one.

I really do hope that this feature will get modified in a future update so that when I select some search term and tick off the include in the menu box, it is from then on actually included in the menu - until such time as I undo it in the same way (un-check it's box)

Perhaps this needs to be redesigned as a feature in the preferences pane? I like that I can access hidden parameters, but if I am going to use some of them on a regular basis - like tags, and there is a check box to include it in the menu, it really should do that, shouldn’t it? [rolleyes]
houdah

Hi!

The list of criteria is saved with your search or template.

If you want “Tags” to be available in the default search:
  1. Open a fresh HoudahSpot window
  2. Add a “Tags” criterion or just add it to the menu
  3. Select File > Save as Default
The same is true for search locations, columns, sort order, etc.

There is no way to modify previously saved searches in bulk.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
levelbest

I am thinking that you and I do not see how this program is used in the same way. As you have created it, all I can say is that is too bad. Each individual search should be a sub set of the program's logic IMHO. I just finished a tedious process of modifying all my saved searches. Seems pretty dumb to have a check box to show attribute in the menu that does not modify that menu globally. Oh well. Consider this customer feedback then to put in deep storage.

HoudahSpot is still a very nice program and I know I could never have created it. Not knocking it or the hard work of making it, just saying the implementation of one or two of it's features leaves me scratching my head.

Moving on.
houdah

I understand what you are trying to. And I see how this would be a useful feature.

The current setup aims at doing the following:

- allow for complete personalization of new searches
- using the same interface as used for searching. I.e. rather than have preferences pane to set up search criteria and columns for new searches
- avoid the build-up of customizations you have to undo the next time you search. You want a clean slate when you open a new window

Templates are used to create alternate starting points. E.g. you can create a template to use when searching for images. Here you would have criteria for “pixel width” and “pixel height”. You don’t want these to clutter the menu for your everyday searches.

I do see that the concept of saving one search as default for future searches is not obvious and confusing to some customers.

I do see that your need to have a global default or “program's logic” to add to saved searches is not covered.

Early betas of HoudahSpot 4.0 actually had a feature that would help you: there was an extra checkbox next to “in menu” to mark “favorite” criteria. These would appear in the menu of all searches. The feature did not make the final release as I was not sure if it was the best solution to the problem.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
levelbest

I am glad that you have considered this. I suspect that this is a common challenge of one who creates a thing and those who come and give feedback on how they use it. As I get better at my writing, I have to learn to use balance. I have to write from what I see, feel, and understand - put another way, I write from my passion. But I also have to write with the understanding that my audience may not have had my experiences. I have to make my writing clear enough and engaging enough for them to want to start reading it, and keep reading it.

This is what I was trying to say to you in an earlier analogy when I was describing the two uses of the off-road vehicle. HoudahSpot is very robust, but it is also a tool that others can learn to use everyday without ever going off-road. HoudahSpot is very robust and from your perspective from creating it, I would imagine you cannot see easily other ways in which it could be used or at least, not with as much passion.

But HoudahSpot fills a large gap in information management on the modern Mac. It is not just for advanced users or, it doesn’t have to be IMHO.

Yes, if you have to go into “other” and sub-menus to find a term in the search you are creating and you see a check box to keep this term in the menu, chances are you are going to use it again (who else uses your search?). So, why not allow the user to successfully add the search they thought they were adding?

Yes, there are times when opening up multiple tabs is quite confusing and is too much visual clutter. There is a valid use of HoudahSpot using templates from the left column when any selected search opens the same window (one window open only). By the use of a modifier key you could have this behavior or the behavior you now have with each template opening up in a new tab.

I really enjoy this program and I very much appreciate your presence as developer to my comments.  I find HoudahSpot to be robust, stable (bug free), regularly updated and maintained, and as I mentioned, very well supported.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.