Houdah Software Forums
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
doublespiral

I launch HoudahSpot via Command-F. It works perfectly with the template that I use as long as I don't have any open folders on my Mac. My default is set to Macintosh HD and that is what I want to search the vast majority of the time.

However, every time I hit Command-F when I have a folder open in the Finder, the "Where..." changes to that folder. That means that each time I need to take my hands off the keyboard and manually reset "Where..." to Macintosh HD via the mouse.

If I open the template by clicking on the HoudahSpot icon in the Dock, then it opens properly - with the default to Macintosh HD instead of the open folder.

How do I stop HoudahSpot from changing the default search location when summoning it via Command-F?

Thank you.
houdah

Hi!

There used to be a free helper application named “Command-F”. Are you referring to that or to the keyboard shortcut command-f?

If you are using the “Command-F” application, select “Preferences” from the Command-F menu item and uncheck the “Search current Finder window” option in “Finder shortcut”.

In the preferences of HoudahSpot 4, you can set several keyboard shortcuts under the Preferences > Shortcuts tab.

There is a shortcut for “Search current Finder window”. That will will open a new HoudahSpot search setup to search in the folder currently open in Finder. 

Remove that shortcut and set up command-f as a shortcut for “New HoudahSpot Search”. This will open a new search with your default setup and search locations.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
doublespiral

Thanks so much for the solution. That worked perfectly. Also, thank you for the lightning quick response. Amazing!
doublespiral

Ok, so a follow up question:

I solved the above issue by changing the "Create new query document" to command-F (the key combination) in HoudahSpot Preferences > Helper.

However, I'm just now realizing that that functionality works from every application rather than just from the Finder. So, it overrides the Find function in Firefox, Excel, etc.  Is there a way to set it so command-F (the key combination) only pull up a HoudahSpot query when summoned from the Finder rather than from all applications? Is it all or nothing?

I suppose if it is, I can go back to using command-F the application because that allowed me to summon HoudahSpot from just the Finder and left the search functionality of other applications unchanged.

Thank you,

Erik
houdah

The Finder shortcut set-up in HoudahSpot preferences indeed always searches the current Finder window/folder.

You can use HoudahSpot set up a global keyboard shortcut (e.g control-Space) that will work from any application. Or continue to use the Command-F application to configure a shortcut that works only from Finder.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.