Houdah Software Forums
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Ward

I have up-to-date versions of Tembo and HoudahSpot. I been using Tembo most of the time because of its simplicity and speed.

However, I've lost faith in Tembo because, from time to time, Tembo fails to find a file that I know exists.  When that happens, I turn to HoudahSpot or Finder Find, and they find the file.

Since all three apps are using the same Spotlight index, why is Tembo failing?

I'm running Tembo 1.7.7 (Mac App Store) on 10.6.8.

-- Ward
houdah

Hi Ward,

Third-party applications tell the system how to map file name extensions to Universal Type Identifiers (UTIs).
If no application claims an extension, the system assigns a random "dynamic" UTI.
This can happen if no matching application is installed or if the application pre-dates UTIs.

Tembo, by default, excludes files with dynamic UTIs. These are usually system / technical files of little interest.
You may disable this behavior in Tembo > Preferences > Advanced.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
Ward

Thanks, Pierre, for your speedy, helpful response.

Dynamic UTIs are the problem.  The "files" Tembo is hiding from me are ripped DVD packages created by Mac DVDRipper Pro.  They have a hidden .dvdmedia extension.  Double-clicking one of these "files" launches DVD Player, which treats the "file" just like a physical DVD.

I dragged several of these .dvdmedia files into Tembo > Preferences > Advanced.  They all have this ugly UTI: dyn.ah62d4qmuhk2x43d0qv00n3dmqe

Deleting the "dyn.*" line from the Advanced list causes the .dvdmedia  to appear in the Documents group.

What kind of "noise" results will be shown if I continue allowing dyn.* files?

Fond Wish:

Before I got to the Advanced Preferences, I was hoping I could add the .dvdmedia extension and direct it to the Movies group.

-- Ward
houdah

Hi!

Tembo relies on the UTI hierarchy to decide in which group a file fits.
I.e. the owner of the file type declares the UTI and tells the system how it fits in the hierarchy.

You need an application to take ownership of the dvdmedia extension, declare a UTI that conforms to public.movie.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.