Houdah Software Forums
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
NikonBx

Hello,

I'm trying to import the track logs from a Garmin etrex 30x, but whether I point HoudahGeo to the file or drag it into the tracks window the same message pops up: Unknown file format—Could not understand (and then the file path, ending in .gpx). Are there any particularities about the file name that may be preventing importation, or is there anything else I should be trying? Thanks.
houdah

Hi!

HoudahGeo converts the file to GPX during import. You are probably seeing the name of the temporary file created in the process.

Could you email a sample Garmin file to support at houdah dot com ?

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
NikonBx

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for your message. After posting my question I continued working on the problem and was able to devise a workaround.

It turns out that the Garmin etrex 30 is known for (occasionally?) corrupting track files. I tried a number of means to open and export the file to another format, and what finally worked for me was using the web site GPX Visualizer which was able to import the Garmin gpx and spit it out in a form that HoudahGeo was able to read.

Another problem I've encountered was tagging the original photos on the SD card (SanDisk Extreme III, 4GB)—sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't. What I ended up doing was to pull the image folder off of the card onto the Desktop and using that for the output from HoudahGeo, then uploading the images from there to CaptureOne.

All in all, a lot of fudging to get it all to work, but in the end I got my geotagged photos done. Having discovered all this, I'll probably make this my standard operating procedure in future, but in any event I'll e-mail you the Garmin file to look at; there may be something useful for you in it.

All the best,
Dewey

houdah

Hi Dewey,

I misread your first post. I thought you had a file in a custom format and were surprised to see the .gpx file. That’s why I mentionned the internal conversion to .gpx.

The file you sent me is truncated. It ends in "<trkpt lat="41.8922125921" lon="12.4888977595"><ele>35.71</ele><time”. I.e. the “trkpt” XML is opened. Then the “ele” tag is opened and closed. Then there is a partial “time” tag. This should be “<time>” followed by a timestamp and then a “</time>” to close the tag. Then “trkpt” should close with “</trkpt”>. After this tag opened at the start of the file should be closed. E.g. “trkseg” (track segment).

Long story short. The file is truncated. It is thus missing data. And has an invalid structure since all XML tags that are “opened” need to be “closed”.

I advise against tagging files on the memory card. This is slow. It may also fail if the card is close to full. HoudahGeo needs room to handle temporary copies of the files. What you can do is to load the files into HoudahGeo and the have HoudahGeo create copies during EXIF/XMP export. Have HoudahGeo save these copies to your hard disk.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
NikonBx

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for the quick reply and analysis of my problem. If these problems persist with the etrex 30, I'll go with something less elaborate and more reliable for my tracks. And indeed, the memory card which was problematic was full; I'll have HoudahGeo save copies to the hard disk in future.

Again, thanks for your help and for a great program.

All the best,
Dewey

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.