Houdah Software Forums
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
refsvik

Hi,

I have just tried to get my Wintec 201 (and consequently Houdah GPS and GEO) without any luck with Leopard.

Are anyone else experiencing this, and is there a fix?

The strange thing is that Matthias Wiedemanns sw (http://web3null.blogspot.com/2007/10/running-gtk-applications-in-mac-os-x.html) works great even if the control panel in Mac OS X tells me that no pairing is going on.

Best regards,

Kjell Are Refsvik
houdah

Hi!

There are actually a couple of known Leopard issues with HoudahGeo. I am working to address those as soon as possible.

However Wintec connection problems have not yet been reported. Actually, I use the Wintec 201 myself with no problems.

Could you please detail your problem? Which setting do you use? Is there an error message?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
refsvik

Hey, this actually worked when using the BlueTooth Setup Assistant using "0000" (all zeros) as a passkey to connect to the 201. I had previously tried to use it without a passkey at all but that failed, and are not happy to report that all is working well, and that I am able to get data out of it using HoudahGPS.

Sorry for the inconvenience guys,

Best regards,

Kjell Are Refsvik
Norway
houdah

Glad to hear that!

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

rkphillips

I have two Apple computers; an iMac (w/Leopard) and a Power Book (also w/Leopard).

I have the Wintec 201 gps device and have had LOTS of problems with it working with my computers and the Houdah GPS and GEO programs. I've been testing again today after a 30 mile drive to and from the San Francisco Airport with my Wintec turned on and sitting on the rear shelf of the car (behind the rear seat).

I've tried everything to "download" the files from the Wintec 201 and have had numerous crashes, a bar saying that information was downloading (but it goes on forever and ever...with no results).

This could very well be something I'm doing wrong......but everything is so inconsistent that I'm at a total loss as to what's happening or not happening......and how I can make use of the Wintec for tracking the routes I drive or walk and, also, with my geocoded photos (using a Nikon D200 with a RedHen device that plugs into the D200 and which communicates with the Wintec 201).

Today, I did not use the camera.......just was trying to track my route so I could view it on Google Earth/Maps. No luck so far. HELP.

NOTE: I've even tried using both the BlueTooth and USB methods (Neither of my computers shows the Wintec device connected to the computer via USB.

Thanks. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi!

First off, for the USB connection you need to install a driver. Please see the bundled Help documentation.

Are you saying that sometimes the connection works, sometimes it doesn't?

Do you get error messages? Or crash reports? I would be glad to see those.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

rkphillips

Forgive me for not quite understanding some of the technology. I have Macintosh computers. A mini-disc came with the Wintec 201 but is for a PC....not the Mac. I'm not sure how or where I would get the driver for the USB connection to work.

I have sent several "error" messages tonight....but, again, I may not have explained things as clearly as I might.

Bottom Line. I had very limited success with Houdah and Wintec before I installed Leopard. Now, I'm beginning to think that Leopard may be the culprit. I've continued to try to see if the Wintec is "connected" to my computer (via BlueTooth). I'm on my iMac (with Leopard) right now, and the Wintec is identified but shows "not connected". The red light is flashing and both blue lights are solid (not flashing).

Hi!

Where to did you send error messages? I did not receive any.

In order to use the USB connection of your Wintec device, you need to install an appropriate driver. You may get that driver from [URL=http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/USB/en/mcu_vcp.htm]Silicon Labs[/URL]. The Wintec device will be known to HoudahGeo by the name of "SLAB_USBtoUART".

For Bluetooth connection, you might want to remove the GRays-2 from the list of known Bluetooth devices and do the pairing afresh.

BTW, I use the WBT-201 with Leopard myself.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

rkphillips

Hi Pierre,

I will try the USB driver route to see if things improve. I won't give up! :-)

I'm 99% sure that you are the young man I met at Macworld last week in San Francisco? You may or may not remember me, but I talked to you for some time about all of this, and you gave me some very good information.......but things aren't going smoothly right now. ;-)

P.S. I was the 60 ish tall guy with the silver hair parted in the middle. You gave me a short demo and tried to show how the Google Earth maps sometime show "double" buildings, roads, etc.

Thanks so much for your help.

Hi!

Yes that was me. I remember the discussion. Unfortunately I am very bad with names and faces. Add to that the fact that I saw quite a lot of people at the Macworld.

I am sure we can get this working. It works for me.

You may also want to try HoudahGPS to see if that works. Please let me know any error message you get. That will help me with diagnosing the problem.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

rkphillips

Pierre,

Houdah GPS does not work either. I get an error message there, too...."WTB 100/200 Read Timeout". This message pops up after the status bar indicates that something is being "loaded".......but???

Ron

Hi,

Been having some sporadic problems as well, but when I do, I re-pair the Wintec. Running the Latest versions of everything.

http://www.ia-stud.hiof.no/~kjellare/misc/wintec.png

Have not been able to connect with USB, for whatever reason. Perhaps an issue for the developer?

Best regards,

Kjell Are Refsvik

houdah

Hi!

I don't see a problem in the screenshots you link to. Bluetooth connection is slow. You just have to wait out the progress bar. If the memory on your Wintec is full, Bluetooth connection wil take a really long time and may actually time out.

For the USB connection to work, you need to install the drivers from [URL=http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/USB/en/mcu_vcp.htm]Silicon Labs[/URL].

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

refsvik

Hi,

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I was simply trying to reply to the previous poster and show that this can infact work very well. But sometimes the Wintec does not connect to the mac and there is a error message. However - at the time of the screenshot - all worked fine.

Love the HGeo, and the Wintec by the way. They are great solutions. The only thing I have found that I want (that I can do with gpsbabel i terminal) is to filter out all the data that was not collected today if previous data is already in there.

Kjell Are

houdah

Hi all!

I have just fixed a bug with GPS import. Please get the HoudahGeo 1.4.1 updates if you were experiencing crashes.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

rkphillips

PIerre,

You may be right about my Wintec being full.....even though I haven't used it in a long time. Perhaps that's part of my problem!!??

At Macworld, you showed me which "Erase" button to use to delete data from my Wintec. Was it the one on HoudahGPS or HoudahGEO? You recommended one of them and recommended NOT to use the other. I've forgotten.

Thanks.

I'm confused on how to erase the previous data from my Wintec. Unfortunately, Wintec "user manual" is pretty worthless......and I have never found a website for them, so I would not know how to get in touch with Wintec for any customer support issues.

Hi!

The erase button is both in HoudahGeo and HoudahGPS. I would recommend using HoudahGPS. This way that you get a file you can archive for later use.

Wintec only provides Windows software. If you are using Mac software, contacting their support would be pretty pointless.

When using the USB connection, you should not get timeouts. Actually the contents should download within seconds.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

bstad

Your program works great! My issue is with a Wintec WBT-201. I loaded the driver, and it worked perfectly the first time I used it. Since then, I get the message "Failed to download from GPS device WBT-100/200: Can't determine device type". Last night I jacked with it for a while, trying different things like turning it off, then plugging it in, or turning it on, then plugging it in, and finally it worked once again, but I don't remember exactly how I got it working. This morning, same message. I'm using a 2006 Mac Pro running 10.6.4.
Help!
houdah

Hi!

Please try turning on Bluetooth on the Wintec. I found that some GPS devices require Bluetooth to be active in order to establish a connection via USB.

I quite frequently use a WBT-201 myself and find it to be working very reliably.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

bstad

Pierre:
Thank you so much for the very fast reply! What you said to do does not make a lot of sense, but it works, and that's the only thing that matters! I don't understand designing a product that way, but ... oh well! Now I know.
Thank you!
fotofah

I'm trying again, after years, to use my WinTec G-Rays WBT-201 with HoudahSpot. My goal is to get the info off it to use in Lightroom 4, which now has a Mapping module.

I've found online the link for downloading and installing the Bridge software (SLAB_USBtoUART). I restarted my computer. I was then able to use my USB cable to the WinTec (not using Bluetooth) to connect to my MacBook Air (running OS 10.7.3, the latest).

In HoudahGPS I was then finally able to see the Acquire button *not* be grayed out. I clicked it to acquire the data to my Desktop, but it failed with the info "WBT-100/200. Can't determine device type." So I couldn't get the data off. :-(. Help, please to get the info off. I have two of the same devices with data on them, but can't get it off. :-(

fotofah

I'm trying again, after years, to use my WinTec G-Rays WBT-201 with HoudahSpot. My goal is to get the info off it to use in Lightroom 4, which now has a Mapping module.

I've found online the link for downloading and installing the Bridge software (SLAB_USBtoUART). I restarted my computer. I was then able to use my USB cable to the WinTec (not using Bluetooth) to connect to my MacBook Air (running OS 10.7.3, the latest).

In HoudahGPS I was then finally able to see the Acquire button *not* be grayed out. I clicked it to acquire the data to my Desktop, but it failed with the info "WBT-100/200. Can't determine device type." So I couldn't get the data off. :-(. Help, please to get the info off. I have two of the same devices with data on them, but can't get it off. :-(

bstad

@ fotofah

The only thing I know that might help you is that bluetooth needs to be on for the transfer to take place, even if not using bluetooth - yeah, it did not make sense to me either, but it made everybody happy, so I just went with it.
fotofah

bstad, thanks so much for that one tip. I was able to easily get the track log off my device once I turned on the Bluetooth and used it on USB.  Bizarre, but that did the trick. I was very easily able to take that track log into Lightroom v4.1 in the Mapping module (including automatic reverse geocoding). :-)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.