Houdah Software Forums
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Drdul

Has anyone had success in connecting a Wintec WBT-201 via USB to a Mac running OS X 10.6?  Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, I can't make it happen via USB, and am trying to figure out if either the Silicon Labs driver doesn't work on 10.6 so I should give up now, or my system is somehow configured incorrectly.

FWIW, I re-installed the driver just in case.  I located the driver at /System/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext.  I used kextload in Terminal to successfully load the driver, but when I tried to acquire tracks form the Wintec with HoudahGPS, I got the error message <Can't initialise port "/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART">.  Interestingly, there is no SLAB_USBtoUART.kext driver on my system, as others on the 'net have reported, nor do I have a /dev directory (not even a hidden one).

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated!
houdah

Hi!

I have not yet tested this setup myself. I was expecting it to work as long as the Mac OS X 10.6 kernel is run in 32-bit mode. This should be the case on all consumer machines.

The "files" in /dev should automatically appear once you connect the device. HoudahGeo and HoudahGPS can then read from these files.

I would suggest you post your question to the Silicon Labs forum. So far, I see no problem reported over there. Maybe someone can help or Silicon Labs can update the driver.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
Drdul

Thanks, Pierre!  When you have had a chance to test it, please let me know if the Silicon Labs driver does not work for you on Snow Leopard.  In the meantime, I will see if i can get some info over at Silicon labs to resolve this problem.  Fortunately, the bluetooth connection works well in 10.6, which is an improvement over 10.5.
houdah

Hi!

I have another user reporting success with the same driver to access the Qstarz BT-1000X.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.