Clicky

gilby
The HoudahSpot (5.0.9) app contains two 32-bit services: TextContentService32.xpc and TextContentServiceOffice.xpc

Will that be an issue when upgrading to macOS 10.15 (Catalina)?

0 0
houdah
Not an issue. Not directly.

HoudahSpot relies on Spotlight importer plug-ins to extract text from files. Different Spotlight plug-ins specialize in different file formats. Such importers are installed with the system as well as with applications that create custom file formats.

The component of HoudahSpot that connects to Spotlight importers is the TextContentService XPC service. As you noted, this exists in 3 variants: 64-bit, 32-bit, and Office. The Office variant exists to work around a bug in some versions of the Microsoft Office Spotlight importer.

The 64-bit service is used when the Spotlight plug-in supports 64-bit mode. I.e. most of the time. The 32-bit variant is needed when HoudahSpot comes across a legacy importer that supports only 32-bit mode. This is HoudahSpot bending over to be compatible with legacy software.

This will not be a problem on macOS 10.15 Catalina. The older Spotlight importers will not be able to run. HoudahSpot will not need to try to talk to these importers. Files created by the applications owning those importers will no longer be indexed until these applications are updated.

See also: Is HoudahSpot Optimized for Upcoming Versions of macOS?
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
KipV
As far as the loss of email searching in HS some people in the Apple forum thought that this could be fixed by rewriting the app to ask the user's permission to access the email. I hope that functionality can be added back.
0 0
houdah
The suggestion on the Apple forum is not realistic. The idea is to copy all mail messages to a folder outside ~/Library/Mail. This causes Spotlight to index these and make thus them available for searching. The cost is a potential duplication of disk space used for mail storage. Luckily the APFS file system could optimize this and not use up twice the space. One would still waste disk space on a duplicated index. One would also have Apple's Spotlight interface see duplicates. And once two developers get the idea, both would be creating duplicates.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
KipV
I am planning on staying on Mojave anyways fortunately. I would prefer for Adobe CS6 to keep working and that will be the last OS where it works (or a lot of it at least.) Hopefully those issues with mail will get resolved before I make the move to Catalina. It almost seems like they shouldn't be releasing it until they get those things worked out.
0 0