Clicky

joconor
I know how to use HoudahSpot to search for an individual UTI (search on Content Type), but this only works for a concrete UTI, not a UTI that a file may conform to.

For instance, I can search for 'public.mpeg-4' to find .mp4 files, but this won't find .m4v files (despite the fact that .m4v files *are* mpeg 4 files). .m4v files have the UTI type of 'com.apple.m4v-video'.

But the 'com.apple.m4v-video' UTI type *conforms to* 'public.mpeg4'. It would be very useful to be able to search for any UTI that is an mpeg 4 file by simply searching for all UTIs that conform to 'public.mpeg-4'.

It's not particularly useful to do a search for 'public.mpeg-4' OR 'com.apple.m4v-video', as this may not exhaustively find all files that are mpeg 4 files. I.e., there may be other UTIs that conform to 'public.mpeg-4' and I would like to find those as well.

Any hints/tips for finding all files that conform to a UTI?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

This would be a search by "Content Kind" (aka. content type tree). Unfortunately the available selection for this search is hard-coded and presented as a pop-up menu in HoudahSpot.

I.e. you can search for "Content Type" is "Video", but not "Content Type" is "MPEG 4" since that option is not offered in the menu.

I will write this down as feature request.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I found a way to perform the search for MPEG 4 movie files. It is hardly ideal though.

You can search for "Kind" "contains" "MPEG-4 movie"
I.e. search by the human readable "Kind" label rather than the underlying UTI content type or content type tree.

On my Mac this finds both .mp4 and .m4v files. m4v files are labelled "Apple MPEG-4 movie" and mp4 files are labelled "MPEG-4 movie". This is where the approach has its limitations: a third party application may claim the mp4 file extension and provide a different kind label.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0