Clicky

henning715
Hi,

within HoudahGeo, when I start a new project and want to add images from the Aperture Library, how to do it?

I have tried: Images > Add Images from Library...
The new project window becomes inactive (red, yellow, green buttons in top left corner go gray), but no new window pops up.

My Aperture Library is 134 GB large. I confirmed that there are previews from within HoudahGeo by choosing Images > Add Images from Files...
In the sidebar of the Open File Finder window, I have Photos available under the Media section. Choosing this shows my Aperture Library preview pictures.

I am running Aperture 3.1.3 and HoudahGeo 2.9.2 (3926) on Mac OS 10.6.8.
>For Aperture integration to work, you need to:
>- Enable iLife/iWork preview sharing in Aperture preferences
Enabled.
>- Enable Aperture library pre-loading in HoudahGeo preferences
Enabled

Any suggestions?
0 0
dsm363
I was actually getting ready to post a similar question.  I have the exact same setup but just got the Genie GBT-31 GPS device.  I believe it exports NMEA files.  I'm only using this device for Geotaging photos into Aperture 3.

Can someone walk me through the simplest workflow to geotag my RAW photos in Aperture 3?  Do I edit them with HoudahGeo on the CF card then import from the CF card into Aperture 3?  Thanks.
0 0
houdah
@henning715

HoudahGeo tries to remember where the media browser was the last time you used it. Some past versions stored an incorrect value. This causes the window to fail to display.

Please try deleting the ~/Library/Preferences/com.houdah.HoudahGeo.plist file. This should fix the issue.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
houdah
@dsm363

HoudahGeo matches photos to GPS track logs based on the timestamps recorded by your camera. These timestamps usually lack time zone information. Thus the single most important setting to make in HoudahGeo is to specify which time zone your camera was set to.

With that setting in place, geocoding is automatic once images and track logs meet in a HoudahGeo project.

Once your photos have coordinates, and optionally reverse geocoding information, select Export to EXIF/XMP to write that data back to the images files. 

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
henning715
@houdah

Pierre, I deleted the plist file. Now it works. Thanks for the quick help.

@dsm363
This is the workflow I currently have. It is not the simplest, as I wanted to make sure that I would not lose (information embedded in) photos while I was trying out different geotagging/photo management programs. I had some undesired effects with other geotagging software, and am very happy with HoudahGeo.

1) download RAW+JPG from CF card to a folder ("folder_x") on hard drive
2) Use HoudahGeo to geotag photos in folder_x
   a) geotag using Google Earth or tracklog (or verify already encoded GPS data from HOLUX m-241)
   b) save .geo project file in folder_x
   c) write EXIF/IPTC data to photos in folder_x
3) import photos into Aperture from folder_x
4) move folder_x to external Drobo drive
5) delete photos from CF card

What I find useful is to have a text file in the folder with the things I need to have done before step 4. When I complete the step, I change the entry in the text file accordingly. Thus, I know what I have done to/with the photos in folder_x at any time by looking at the text file. My text file entries are:

• HoudahGeo tag
  • TimeZone check
  • Aperture import
It may seem a bit ocd to have the text file, but it has helped me catch multiple instances of not changing my camera's time zone in time and let me correct for it upon import in Aperture.

On a related topic to the original issue - one of the requirements for library integration in HoudahGeo is enabling previews -, I found the following post to be very informative in regards to previews (and thumbnails) in Aperture:

A Comprehensive Look at Thumbnails, Previews, and More in Aperture 3

0 0
dsm363
henning715:  Thanks for your help.  I appreciate it.

The BGT-31 outputs a .sbp and a .txt file.  Do you change the .txt to .NMEA in step 2 then?

I've only had time to encode one set of images successfully but will keep working on it before my trip.  I imported directly into Aperture 3 then used HoudahGeo to 'load library', then loaded my .NMEA file, then exported to EXIF data (overwrote it I believe).  Just curious but what's the advantage to geotag using Google Earth over the workflow I tried?  I'll try your workflow next as it seems more complete.  Thanks.

Dave
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahGeo should support .sbp files.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
dsm363
Thanks.  I e-mailed Lococys and got this reply:

Your question :4)

I\'m only going to be using this for Geotagging photos in Aperture 3 on the Mac. I\'m going on a cruise at the end of the month for 8 days and have a 2GB SD card that I formatted in the device. I had file size set to card size have it set to 2048K now in case something happens to the card. I\'m a little confused about what NEMA settings I\'d want. GGA 1 second...etc? SBN is currently off but when I turn it on, it turns off all the other NEMA settings. I have my min speed set to zero and logging files every 10 seconds. Thanks.

LOCOSYS:

You can log data into SD card in NMEA or SBN format. If you need NMEA format, please do the setting in advance.

Please refer to user manual on p37~38 and cancel highlighting the “SBN” item.

For the NMEA or SBN format, you only can choose one for default format when you log data.

0 0
henning715
>I'll try your workflow next as it seems more complete.
"Complete" may be too many steps for some, insufficient for others. It is important for you to find the workflow that fits your particular equipment and workstyle.

I always find learning about other workflows rewarding, as it makes me think about aspects I hadn't encountered yet and let me optimize what is right for me. In that spirit, I will add to my description a little to let you understand why I use the workflow described.

Generalizing, there are three situations in which I am taking photos:
1) at home, at parents' home, etc (a place I am at often and well-defined)
2) while mobile, I get out camera to take an unexpected quick shot
3) while mobile, I know I will be taking quite a few shots ("tourist" mode)

I have a Holux m-241 GPS logger that can connect to a Red Hen Blue2Can via Bluetooth and thus geotag photos at the time of shooting. It takes a few minutes for the Holux to get its bearings (especially if I have travelled a few hundred miles/km), with the first few minutes after that being used to get to an accuracy that I demand.

Thus, photos taken in situation 3 are geotagged. I use HoudahGeo to show the locations on Google Earth and compare the readings of the tag and Google Earth, sometimes shifting the location a bit where the GPS unit did not have clear reception and thus has an altitude reading that is way off.

Photos taken in situation 2 are not geotagged when taken, as there is no time to wait for the GPS to calibrate. If I do not know where I am (I am not familiar with the area), I take a photo of the street signs of the nearest intersection or the an address sign, so that I can locate the location later using HoudahSpot/Google Earth/Google Maps.

For photos taken in situation 1, it is not worth the effort of starting up the GPS equipment. I already have geotagged photos of the location, so what I do in HoudahGeo is open a project with this location already tagged and use the copy/paste coordinates feature of HoudahGeo to batch tag the new photos.

Writing this, I just came up with a way to optimize: take a photo from each of the locations in scenario 1, copy them into a folder and rename them to a good description of the location. Create a new HoudahGeo project with these images and save this project. The next time you need to tag photos in known locations, you have a go-to project where you have all "home" locations without searching for them.

0 0
dsm363
Thanks.  I have a Canon 7D so don't think there is any way to directly tag the photos (wish there was).  I'm going to keep my GPS on the entire trip as it will be interesting to track the progress of the ship.  I can either write the files in 2mb chunks or one big file of up to 2 million points on my 2GB SD card.  I've read that the problem with filling the entire SD card with one file is that if something happens to it, you lose all your data for the trip.  If I pick the 2mb file method, I'll likely have a bunch of sequential files which I assume HoudahGeo can sort out.
Thanks henning715 and Pierre for your help.  I know I've asked a lot of questions but I've never geotagged an entire trip and want to make sure I have my settings right before I leave.
0 0
henning715
Have a great trip!
As you are trying out something new, I advise you first make a copy of the photos and the GPS log data when you return. Thus, you will be more at ease when experimenting with your new workflow.
0 0
taghioff
Hi, 

I just purchased Houda Geo, and have navigated the issue of having my "Documents" folder in the favourites folder (you can find it and delete aliases at [homefolder]/Library/Favourites.

I have tried deleting the .plest file as recommended by Pierre at the top of this list. My persistent problem is that the media browser is only showing some 1400 out of 20 000 odd images in my Aperture library. 

I have checked that the masters are referenced properly (is there some sort of problem with externally referenced images when the library and the referenced images are both on an external hard disk?) 

AND

I have checked that the previews for ilife have been updated, watching Aperture do this at close. 

I am running HoudahGeo Version 2.9.2 (3926) with Aperture 3.13 on OSX 10.6.8.

I would appreciate any pointers as to why only a small proportion of my Aperture files are showing up in the Media browser, and when is the next version of HoudahGeo likely to be ready... ?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I hope to release HoudahGeo 3.0 later this fall. It will include an all-new media browser.

With the library on an external disk, you obviously need to make sure that the disk is mounted before you launch HoudahGeo. HoudahGeo should not have a problem with referenced images.

I will send you a private message with a link to the latest alpha version of HoudahGeo 3.0. If your library shows in that version, we can be sure the problem is with HoudahGeo 2.9 rather than with Aperture or the location of your images.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
taghioff
OK I found the problem. The external drive is NTFS formatted, and this causes performance problems in Aperture where files appear offline despite Aperture showing them as connected path-wise. So HoudahGeo is picking up the rest. 

0 0
taghioff
And thanks of the response, looking forward to the new version. 
0 0
taghioff
Hi there

I resolved my previous problem by consolidating my library into the main Aperture library and shifting it to a correctly formatted disk. 

However, I now find that HoudahGeo seems to be overwriting my masters with previews, effectively destroying them in my Aperture library.

How do I prevent that? 
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Sorry about that. Such a thing should never happen. I currently can't actually imagine how it could have happened,

When working with HoudahGeo 2.x, dragging a file to a HoudahGeo project will create a reference to its preview image file. This preview is used for most export operations as it includes all adjustments applied by Aperture.

During EXIF/XMP export you have quite a few options:

- Tag Masters/Originals: When checked, HoudahGeo will work its way from each preview image to the matching master file and tag that. It will alter the master, but not overwrite it. 
- Create copies: When checked, HoudahGeo will create copies of the images and ask you where to save these.

You probably want to check Tag Masters/Originals and uncheck Create Copies.

Please check /Applications/Utilities/Console.app for messages from HoudahGeo.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0