Clicky

jayman
I purchased Houdahspot last year, but gave up using it after a few weeks because it was consistently missing search hits that Spotlight found. This happens routinely, and often the gap is wide.
If the underlying Houday technology is based on Spotlight, I don't see how this could keep happening. On the other hand, I haven't seen a lot of other complaints like mine.
Example today: search for "softraid user guide".  I select "Home plus local drives".
Houdaspot finds one hit on my main drive. Spotlight finds 3, including my two backups.
Second example: "SoftRaid", with no other search box limits or criteria, and the "any" choice left in place, to describe the file type
Results:
Houdahspot: 22 hits
Spotlight: 52 hits
The difference: Houdaspot elected on its own to exclude all email that uses the searched for word. Shouldn't "any" include mail?
I would love to have the sorting and template abilities of Houda in my computer work, but not at the cost of reliability.
Am I the only person experiencing this? Am I missing something?
(This runs on a Mac Pro, 10.5.7).

0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahSpot is indeed based upon Spotlight.

Could you please post a screenshot of your HoudahSpot search?
Where are the files located which HoudahSpot does not list?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
jayman
Sure.  Attached is a screenshot of the search and its results. (Note the multiple files with the same name reflects each item going from my computer to both a mirrored RAID and to Time Machine.)
The Houdah search produced 35 files.
The same search with Spotlight picked up up 89 hits - 54 more than the Houdah search. In this instance, all 54 were Mail items. Houdah doesn't seem to think Mail is important.
And it's not limited to Mail. On other searches, other types of files have escaped Houdah's search.
Comments and assistance welcome.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Unfortunately your screenshot does not show the full HoudahSpot document.

Have you set the search to exclude the ~/Library folder? That's where Apple's Mail.app stores emails.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0