Clicky

xmacvicar
My friend showed me this whole concept of geotagging last night, and HoudahGPS was part of his workflow.  He has a GPS device from CanadaGPS, it was about 135 bucks.  He took the text file from the device and used HoudahGPS to convert it to a GPX file.  He then used the GPX file in Photo Mechanic to match up the photos to the GPS data.

I am going to Iceland in 21 days so this is really interesting to me at this point! Trying to figure some things out.  I came across the Amod AGL3080 device, its cheaper, takes batteries (which is a plus) and is 'driverless' as it seems.  Basically what I am wanting to know, from people who have this device, is do you need HoudahGPS to use the file that comes from the AGL3080?  I read online that it creates an ASCII file of your coordinates.  

At this point, I am not sure what I can do with this ASCII file.  Does HoudahGPS read it perfectly, do I need to convert it to a separate format, does HoudahGPS do all the work and I wouldn't need to introduce Photo Mechanic?

All these questions, I am sorry.  If anyone has an input, I would love to find out ASAP so I can order the device that I need. 

PS- I know very little about which devices are available.  Any input there would be great as well
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I can't comment on the AGL3080. A search here however turns up some results.

HoudahGPS is a front-end to the open source GPSBabel. It allows for downloading track logs from many devices and convert track log files between various formats.

Our commercial product, HoudahGeo is a fully feature photo geocoding solution. Amongst other things, it can match photos to track logs and thus figure out the location where a photo was taken.

In the HoudahGeo FAQ I recommend a couple of GPS devices.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
xmacvicar
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies!  I am definitely going to go with GEO I think!

As for the AMOD 3080, it seems to be pretty full featured, although it does not show a timeclock for the GPS.  I am still VERY new to this, but it seems like a common thing to do is just take a photo of the GPS device with the clock showing, thus allowing for incredibly easy matching of the time/gps file.

The AMOD does not have the clock, but another user on another site said this about the absence of the clock: 

"For photomapping, you can’t take a photograph of the display. You can, however, take a waypoint, fetch its timestamp out of the GPX file, and use that as the synchronization time for the photo."

Based on this, would it be as simple as creating a waypoint at the beginning of my trip, and just use this as the reference point?

I also found a site that shows the UTC and GPS times based on your computer's clock.  I thought about making my Canon 5D Mark II reflect this time exactly.

I am essentially just trying to avoid as much time adjusting as possible in post production; any tips on how to make this as close to perfect from the get go would be greatly appreciated!

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I recommend setting your camera clock to accurately match a radio controlled clock. You then need to tell HoudahGeo only which time zone you had set your camera to.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0