Clicky

ducksoft
Firstly, I realize this is not an issue specific to HoudahGeo so will also try Aperture forums.

I have ~20,000 photos in Aperture that I plan to geocode using HoudahGeo.

As a test I've updated 10 masters - 5 directly against the original files listed in Finder (I use referenced masters on NAS) and 5 via the media browser.  In both cases the master files did not change filename or date/time stamps as observed in Finder.  In Aperture, Update EXIF From Master did as expected.

I then ran an import in Aperture across the original files with "Do not import duplicates" checked.  I have ~360 files in the directory.  Aperture detected the 10 files I geocoded as non-duplicate and wanted to import again.

As I've tagged and rated my photos in Aperture its not practical to start my Aperture library again.

I saw a trick for masters managed by Aperture involving export, geocode, consolidate, but thats not appropriate in my case where I use referenced masters.

Do you know how Aperture detects duplicates?

Is there a workaround / known workflow for this situation?

Regards

Tim

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I unfortunately don't know how Aperture proceeds to detect duplicates.

What I fail to understand is why you are re-importing the files?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
ducksoft
I store my files in yyyy-mm directories, which I add to throughout the month.  If I want to view any of the photos I import the yyyy-mm directory.  Later in the month, as new photos are add to the directory, I import again with "Do not import duplicates" checked.

Whilst the issue I describe really only affects the current month, I think its useful to be able to run a re-import "Do not import duplicates" which ensures I haven't missed any files.

Regards

Tim

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I understand.

This leaves the unanswered question as to how Aperture detects duplicates.

As an alternative, you might want to geotag photos before ever importing them into Aperture.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0