Clicky

sthatche
Hello,
I wanted to see if anyone had figured out a reasonably fast Aperture workflow for updating master files with the GPS data using HoudahGeo. I realize that Aperture really never updates master files (using other files for metadata rather than modifying the orignal masters). Two possible workflows come to mind but I haven't seen anyone else trying them:
1. Use HoudahGeo to add gps and location data to the exif file, reimport the modified file and delete the original master. This probably could be mostly automated via scripting although I know the current version doesn't have applescript support yet.
2. Usa HoudahGeo to create sidecar files, export them and use scripting to update aperture.

I am curious if anyone else has better (i.e. easier solutions that I am overlooking) or if future versions of the software have a better workflow. Also any pros/cons to the above two solutions are welcome. I have literally thousands of photos to tag (2500 from a trip to Thailand last month) and want to create the smoothest, fastest, most accurate workflow.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

You may use Image Capture.app to download images from your camera without importing them into Aperture. You may then tag the using HoudahGeo and move them into Aperture only afterwards.

There were rumors that Aperture 2 has image editing API. Such API might make a direct integration possible. Unfortunately no documentation on this has yet emerged.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
macplanet

Hi,

[QUOTE=houdah]There were rumors that Aperture 2 has image editing API. Such API might make a direct integration possible. Unfortunately no documentation on this has yet emerged.[/QUOTE]

Are there updates on this matter?
Aperture 2.1 is out with a plugin interface. Does this create the possibility to have a Houdah Geo Aperture Plugin?

Thanks in advance,
Matthias
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The API exists, but there still is no official documentation or SDK. I have filed a request with Apple to get access as early as possible.

I currently still don't know what the API looks like and what I might be able to do with it.

Aperture 2.1 also has a new feature where it can reload EXIF from existing files. I could imagine updating HoudahGeo to write to Aperture managed images so that Aperture could retrieve EXIF from there.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
sthatche
I noticed they added that functionality to reload exif data with 2.1 which would be nice - wish they were faster to provide documentation on the api data. Thank you for continuing to monitor this - I am excited to see the possibilities. I am actually waiting to tag my Thailand trip photos until a solution exists with your software. I have not found any other geotagging solution with the elegance of your application. Keep up the good work. Next trip I hope to have a gps receiver with me to ease the process of tagging.
0 0
sthatche
Ok - here is one option that seems to work for geotagging in Aperture 2.1 (taking advantage of the update exif options).
1. Create a temporary folder on your workstation (i.e. the desktop)
2. Temporarily "relocate" masters you would like to geocode using the "relocate masters" option in the file menu of Aperture.
3. Import these photos either through drag&drop or the import option in HoudahGeo and tag them as normal. Keep in mind the option to update exif data from masters in aperture 2.1 will not update iptc data so city/state/desc will not update in aperture if updated in HoudahGeo
4. Back in aperture choose "consolidate masters" option from the file menu (be sure to select move rather than copy) to move the files back into your aperture library.
5. Select the photos you have just tagged and choose "update exif data from master" in the metadata menu. This will now result in having updated masters in their original location but with the geocode data in both the original master and in the aperture database.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for suggesting this workflow. I hope to be able to improve the situation in future versions of HoudahGeo, but for now this seems to be an excellent solution.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
macplanet
[QUOTE=houdah]Thanks for suggesting this workflow. I hope to be able to improve the situation in future versions of HoudahGeo, but for now this seems to be an excellent solution.[/QUOTE]

I totally second that, it's a nice workaround.

But i'd like to mention that I would happily re-register a HoudahGeo Aperture Plugin version ...

Best regards,
Matthias
0 0
macplanet
[QUOTE=houdah]The API exists, but there still is no official documentation or SDK. I have filed a request with Apple to get access as early as possible.[/QUOTE]

Apple has released the SDK and documentation now:
[URL=http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/04/22/apple-releases-aperture-2-plug-in-sdk]http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/04/22/apple-releases-aperture-2-plug-in-sdk[/URL]

Best regards,
Matthias
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for pointing this out.

I am aware of the fact that the SDK has been released and have started reading the documentation.

I am currently tied up working on other projects. Thus I cannot commit to a timeframe for the release of an improved workflow involving the new SDK.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
rutgerblom
I followed sthatche's suggested workflow, but as soon as I export my photo to for example a JPG, the exported JPG does not contain any geodata. Is there something I'm missing?

Rutger
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Do you get correct geo data in Aperture and then the data is missing once you export from Aperture?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
rutgerblom
Hi Pierre,

That's correct. I see the coordinates in Aperture after  "Update EXIF from Master", but they are gone on the exported version.

Rutger

0 0
houdah
Hi Rutger!

You might want to try asking about this on discussions.apple.com. This seems to be an Aperture problem. With a little luck somebody has already found a workaround.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
rutgerblom
Thanks for the tip. I started a discussion there.

Rutger

0 0
TomDibble
[QUOTE=sthatche]Ok - here is one option that seems to work for geotagging in Aperture 2.1 (taking advantage of the update exif options).
1. Create a temporary folder on your workstation (i.e. the desktop)
2. Temporarily "relocate" masters you would like to geocode using the "relocate masters" option in the file menu of Aperture.
3. Import these photos either through drag&drop or the import option in HoudahGeo and tag them as normal. Keep in mind the option to update exif data from masters in aperture 2.1 will not update iptc data so city/state/desc will not update in aperture if updated in HoudahGeo
4. Back in aperture choose "consolidate masters" option from the file menu (be sure to select move rather than copy) to move the files back into your aperture library.
5. Select the photos you have just tagged and choose "update exif data from master" in the metadata menu. This will now result in having updated masters in their original location but with the geocode data in both the original master and in the aperture database. [/QUOTE]

I haven't tried this yet, but my plan was to use the masters in-place. You have to "Show Package Contents" on the Aperture library, then find your project in the tree (same as your folder tree in Aperture) and "Show Package Contents" on it, but then you have all the master images in front of you to drag wherever.

I have in my list of AppleScript projects a "Reveal in Finder" script for Aperture ... there's a Ruby script which does it right now, supposedly, but I haven't been able to get it to work because I'm completely new to Ruby. Shouldn't be hard to get it working in AppleScript, though. If anyone knows of an existing script to reveal the masters that would be nice

In any case, that should save a step in the process once that can be automated (step 2 would become "run the 'Reveal in Finder' script" and step 4 would go away).
0 0
spacebass
Hey folks,
I've been trying to figure out a workflow myself and while I do wish I could import the logs right into Aperture, I've found a method that works well.

1) Import pictures into Aperture as you would normally, quit aperture
2) in the finder, open your pictures folder and then right-click on your aperture library (contrl+click) ...
3) drag the folder/project file directly into GPSphotoLinker, its really just a folder and GPSphotoLinker will read the contents and pull in the raw files and any jpegs
4) batch process them with GPSphotoLinker
5) re-launch Aperture, go into the project, select all and right-click and select Update EXIF data From Masters

Once it pulls the exif data back in, you will see the GPS data in the metadata viewer.

The beta of ConnectFlow's flickr exporter plugin will also make use of that data.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

The same would obviously also work with HoudahGeo.

But please exercise caution: you are working on originals which Aperture rightfully attempts to safeguard. Do make sure you have backups before attempting this. Possible disasters include:

- Mistakes when entering time zone or camera clock error propagating to the original images
- Damaging the Aperture library by inadvertedly moving files around in the Finder
- Image corruption while writing EXIF. Extremely rare, but not totally impossible

Personally I recommend working on images copied to the computer, but not yet loaded into a library. Delete the images from the camera only once you confirmed everything went well.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
macplanet
Hi everybody,

Übermind have release an Aperture plugin called "Maperture", which is great in combination with HoudahGeo:
http://www.ubermind.com/products/maperture.php
With that you can see a Google Maps view from inside Aperture with the locations of your photos marked. You can also correct the location of photos easily.
(The plugin is intended to actually geotag the photos one-by-one, but who would do that if he has a GPS device and HoudahGeo ...).

The best news however is that this plugin mysteriously seems to fix the bug that prevents GPS data from being included in the exported files: I had tried that after the latest Aperture update again, and it still did not work. When I try to export a working copy now, the GPS metadata is included nicely in the file.
Maybe the Übermind people have found a way to change the settings in Aperture to include the data?
Can anybody confirm this situation?

Best regards,
Matthias

(Pierre, any news on a HoudAperture plugin? It's still high on my "Applications I dream of" list :-)
0 0
houdah
Hi Matthias!

I saw the Maperture plugin this morning.

I wonder how they managed to use the Aperture image editing API to geocode photos. When I discussed this at WWDC with the Aperture team, I was told that the current API does not allow for this.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
gouksss
Hello All !

I've been following this discussion eagerly, having most of my pics already in Aperture, with no geolocation...

Talking about Maperture, it seems they use an Edit plugin architecture.
Looking in ADC in the info.plist sample, you might be able to get the Master location :

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/AppleApplications/Conceptual/AppleApp_Aperture_001/Overview/chapter_1_section_7.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40004832-CH3-DontLinkElementID_9

[CODE]<key>supportedRAWExtensions</key>
<array>
<string>cr2</string>
</array>
<!-- Optional. If your plug-in reads the RAW master data from images
but only supports certain raw formats, providing a list of file name extensions
here will disable your plug-in if the user has selected any images that
aren't RAW or are RAW but do not have one of the extensions listed here.
Note that Aperture will still pass images that do not have any extension at
all to your plug-in, regardless of the extensions listed here. -->[/CODE]

Moreover, looking at the Aperture SDK documentation, it seems that there is a kExportKeyReferencedMasterPath property that gives you the path to the master image...
(Found at : http://developer.apple.com/documentation/AppleApplications/Reference/AppleApp_Aperture_002/ApertureSDKCommon/index.html)
So what we can guess is that by using the plugin interface of aperture, they have access to the master path...

I think that would require quite a bit of work from you, Pierre, to rewrite another self contained app as a Plugin... but would it be possible to write a plugin that communicates to HoudahGeo the full path to the selected images ?

Maybe I'm way over my head here, but another way to do it would be :

-Get the picture ID (should be quite simple, even applescript allows it),
-Make an SQLite query against the Aperture database to retreive the master Path
-Update Exif data on the Master
-Call "Update Exif from Master" on the newly modified picture ?

Even if it's a hack, it seems it could be a solution.

What do you think ?

Romain
0 0