Clicky

houdah
Apple has released OS X 10.10.3 with the new Photos application.

In its first version, the Photos application lacks the programmatic interface needed for HoudahGeo to notify it of changes made to geotags.

Until this issue is resolved, we recommend that you geotag your photos before importing them into the Photos library.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
fotomanrmr
Have made that experience already: The iPhoto Library shines up in HoudahGeo, but the FOTOS library (this is the way how the program is called in German language) does not work. Made it happen that the folders had access directly form Houdah, but was not really helpful that step. Your suggestion is the best, I made it step by step: Exported the pics from FOTOS to the hard disc, did the tagging there, deleted the old pics from FOTOS and imported the tagged ones after. Worked all fine. 
Apple does sometimes funny steps in their upgrade policy. They recommend the use of an iPhone for taking photos .... well, all DSLR users in the world - listen!
From what I understand you are depending on Apples reaction - in other words: that can take some time. Well, the work-flow is there, and we can live with it.
0 0
Kurtois

Houdah,

Thank you so much for the update on the best way to handle geotags with Apple's new Photos application(s) and iCloud Photo Library! This is exactly the reason I came to the forum today.

That said, I would very much appreciate you keeping us informed on how Apple's Photos handles geotags, as it develops, and highlight any points related to them.

Please let me know if I can clarify.

0 0
davidferrington
I've just joined the forum to ask this question, since I've just start with gps4cam and Houdah Geo - do you have any idea when Apple will add the capability?

I was hoping this would be a cheaper alternative to buying a Canon GPS, but it's starting to look a little messy!
Ok, not too bad, import from SD card, update with GPS data, export back to card and then import into Photos.

Have to say not impressed with Photos at present, preferred iPhoto!
 -- David
0 0
houdah
I have no insight in Apple's plans or timeline.

The current version of Photos allows for GPS locations to be read using Apple Script, but does not allow these values to be changed by Apple Script. Since this was possible in both iPhoto and Aperture, I expect this feature to be added to Photos rather sooner than later.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
davidferrington
Thank you, although I'm a very long time user of Apple products and like them a lot, there are times when they can be so frustrating.
The install of Photos disabled my iPhoto, so I have no choice at present.
 -- David
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Installing Photos should not have disabled iPhoto. 

You should however avoid switching back and forth between iPhoto an Photos. On first launch, Photos imported your iPhoto library. Changes made in iPhoto after that will no be seen by Photos.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
rocklobster
joined this forum to ask this question, too! what a shame for Photos.  Is it even possible to copy & paste a location in Photos, as it was with iPhoto? Don't believe so…  Everyone here, please report to Apple Feedback.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Locations cannot be edited in any way in the current version of Photos.
I recommend that you geotag your photos before importing them into the Photos library.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0