Clicky

CharlesWeir

A year or so back I asked about a particular requirement (incomplete outlook tasks), and in due course you implemented it as a new field -- thank you!

But there are lots of bits of data that Spotlight saves for each file. One can see them using 
        /usr/bin/mdimport -t -d2 <filename>

At different times, I might want templates that use any one of them. The latest I wanted is to specify the Outlook folder (a number, thank you Microsoft!), since I often find myself editing contacts from the wrong folder.

I know I can put selection text (field:value) in the main search box, and even save that in a template. But it feels completely wrong and user-unfriendly to have the template configuration in the main search box; it's too easy to overwrite it by accident.

@houdah Please could you add the ability to have arbitrary search keys in the refine pane?

Best, 

Charles
0 0
houdah
When the developer of a Spotlight importer introduces a new attribute (e.g. com_microsoft_outlook_completed), she is free to provide a human-readable name or not. Typically properties that can be of interest to the end-user do get a readable name. Properties that are purely technical in nature (and subject to change) don't.

HoudahSpot shows all named attributes as possible search criteria and columns in search results.

Mircosoft Outlook steps a bit out of the line by adding many useful/relevant attributes without providing a human-readable label.
For many of these attributes, HoudahSpot steps in to provide a name. I.e. we had to figure out what the attribute actually means (task completed, download completed, …) and check how that property is labeled in the Outlook application.

HoudahSpot could indeed provide a field in Refine for you to type in raw names likes "com_microsoft_outlook_completed" but that would no be much different than typing this in the main search field.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
CharlesWeir
that would no be much different than typing this in the main search field.

From the tool creator's point of view that is correct, of course. 

From a user point of view, however, it _is_ 'much different'. By putting the template configuration in the main search box it confuses the search, makes it easy to overwrite it by accident, and fails to keep the template choices separate from the details of a specific search. 

So, as a user, I ask, please could you provide a field in Refine for a user to type in raw names?
0 0
houdah
Now I get your point.

I have added the request to the wish list.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
CharlesWeir
Can't ask better than that!  Thank you.

- Charles
0 0