Clicky

wes
I recently imported about 2000 photos off my digital camera (Kodak Z1085 IS) using Kodak Easyshare software and a USB cable on my Mac.

When I try to geocode these photos using HoudahGeo 2.2.6, the program simply crashes. I have already sent the automated crash reports a couple of times this morning. Check for the ones from someone named Wesley.

I initially thought something was wrong with my GPS tracks, but even if I do a manual geocoding without loading any tracks but using only the maps, the program still crashes.

I'm hoping that you could reproduce the problem, so I attached one of the photos from the series of imported photos that's having the issues.

FYI, I had no problems with the photos from my camera if I just pulled out the memory card and copied the photos to the hard disk using a card reader.

Sadly, EasyShare deleted the photos in the memory card as it imported, so I need to have HoudahGeo working correctly with the files I have left.

I did run a recovery program and could salvage a few pictures to do a bit-by-bit comparison. It turns out that the import process changes the files somewhat, although the file size and apparent picture quality remains identical. I'm guessing that whatever these changes, HoudahGeo can't handle them.
Click image for larger version - Name: 101_9712.JPG, Views: 5, Size: 934.56 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Unfortunately, the crash reports don't tell me much on where the crash has occurred.

Could you please detail what you are doing up until the point HoudahGeo crashes?

I have tried geocoding here on the image you have posted. I did not experience any problems.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
wes
I loaded the .gpx tracks (128 of them), and then the photos from the download folder (over 2000 of them). I let HoudahGeo enter the coordinates where it can, and I corrected / filled out the rest. This is how I always manage my photos with HoudahGeo, every other week or so.

Then I tried geotagging the photos, with the Tag masters / originals option checked. HoudahGeo crashed after a couple of minutes. I then reduced the number of photos it should geotag, and it still crashed. Eventually, I tried geotagging a single photo, and it crashed again.

So I opened a new project, put a handful of photos in it, manually entered the coordinates, and then tried geotagging them. And... it crashed. Because the photos from my Xperia cellphone did not exhibit this problem, and I never had the problems with the Kodak photos up until I tried the different import method, I came to a conclusion that maybe Kodak EasyShare's import mechanism was screwing something up.

But since you cannot reproduce the problem, maybe something else is happening. I'm at a loss.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Could you try saving your HoudahGeo project before exporting to EXIF?

Should it crash, please send me the project file as well as the referenced image. This way, I should be able to reproduce the crash from the exact same point as you did.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
wes
It looks like reboot didn't have any effect. I tried the same thing after a reboot, and the crash still happens. I sent another crash report about ten minutes ago.

Here's the sample photo and the project file. Even with this one photo, it produces a crash on my system. Put the photo on the root of the boot volume.

BTW, my Mac is a Core 2 Duo iMac (mid-2008) with 4GB of RAM, running OS X 10.5.7.

Click image for larger version - Name: 101_8597.JPG, Views: 9, Size: 1.54 MB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I cannot manage to reproduce the crash.

May I email you a customized version of HoudahGeo which may make debugging easier?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
wes
Yes, that would be good. Please send to wesley96 at gmail.
0 0