Clicky

camner
During the geocoding process, can HoudahGeo be set so that it does not overwrite GPS data for images that already have GPS data in them (I will typically come back from a trip with some photos already geocoded, such as from a smartphone, and others that do not yet have GPS data)?
0 0
houdah
HoudahGeo does not keep track of which images had geotags on import or which images have already been exported to EXIF, Photos, Google Earth, …

You, however, get the desired result by selecting the images you want to export. Often enough you can separate photos from different cameras by sorting the list of images by name. Once your smartphone photos are sorted to the bottom of the list, you can select all photos above and export to EXIF/XMP.

Sorting by file extension can also help.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
camner
Thank you for your reply.  A few follow ups:
  1. You may want to consider having an option to skip images that already have GPS info. That’s how Lightroom works, I believe, although they, too, do not have an option; they just skip images that already have GPS info. The “sort by file name” workaround wouldn’t always work for me, I don’t think.  With my new Canon G5X Mark II camera, I have the ability to send via Bluetooth GPS info from my phone (with the Canon Connect app) to the camera, but it is cumbersome to use and I certainly wouldn’t want to always have to manually send the GPS info, but it could be useful to create reference photos, etc. Without skipping those images already tagged by the camera via the “send the GPS info” through the Canon Connect app, HG will be overwriting the GPS info in the reference photos.
  2. What does HoudahGeo do with gaps in the GPS track?  For example, let’s say I stop for lunch and pause my iPhone tracking app to save battery power. Then I take a picture without having turned the tracker back on.  Lunch is over, but I forget to turn the tracker back on until I have moved 1 km.  So now I have a 1 hour gap, say, between track log entries, with a 1 km gap in location, and a few pictures were taken during that hour gap.  What will HoudahGeo do in terms of tagging?  With what coordinates will HoudahGeo tag the images taken during the gap?
  3. I am a Lightroom user, and I wonder if you have any advice about whether it is best to geotag (and reverse geotag) via HoudahGeo BEFORE importing the images into Lightroom, or whether it is best to import into Lightroom first.
  4. If I understand what I read in the HG manual about Lightroom workflow, you suggest telling LR to write out metadata to XMP sidecar files before processing with HG (if there have been any metadata changes made in LR), setting HG to write to XMP files if present, and then after HG processing is done, telling LR to read from the XMP files.  This will result in the tagging info NOT being written into the raw files themselves, correct?  So this will not have the desired result of having the tagging info tied to the image but will only result in the LR catalog and XMP files having the GPS info, correct?  Why do you make this recommendation?
Thank you for taking the time to help me get up to speed as quickly as possible with HG.  I’m taking a 3-week trip to Europe in a few weeks, and I want to get my workflow down before I go.
0 0
houdah
1. Noted as a feature request. You could work around the issue by adding a keyword to images with GPS tags and later selecting the images that lack this tag.

2. There are settings in "Geocode Using GPS Data…" as to how far HoudahGeo should extend tracks (assume you were at the starting or ending location) or merge tracks (assume you traveled in a straight line between the end of one track and the start of the next)

3. If you prefer to have the tags in the RAW files, your workflow will be simpler if you start with geotagging and import later

4. You can amend the workflow to also write to the RAW files. The "dance" of writing to XMP sidecars is needed so changes to metadata made in Lightroom are not lost. I.e. have Lightroom write out all the metadata it has, let HoudahGeo make adjustments, have Lightroom read it back in.

0 0
camner
Thanks for your quick reply.  Just to make sure I understand...

Here's a section of the HG manual:

Geotag images managed by Lightroom:

• Set “Tag” to “Original Images”

• Deselect “Create copies”

• Set “XMP sidecars” to “Write to Sidecar if Present”

After the metadata export has finished, go to Lightroom and instruct it to load metadata from file. Please note: If you do this without having instructed Lightroom to share metadata before geocoding, metadata added in Lightroom will be lost.

Geotag images hosted outside of supported libraries:

• Set “Tag” to “Original Images”

• Decide whether to create copies or not. When enabled, image files will be copied and only the copies will be tagged.

• Set “XMP sidecars” to “Write to Sidecar if Present”

1. If "Tag" is set to "original images" AND "XMP sidecars" are set to "Write to Sidecar if Present" then HG will write to the original RAW file AND will write to a sidecar file if it already exists. Yes?
  2. For images hosted OUTSIDE of supported libraries: Why do you recommend setting "XMP sidecars" to "Write to Sidecar if Present"?  Is just to deal with the possibility that some other app has already created a XMP sidecar file for a given image?
Thanks.
0 0
houdah
1. No, you need to export twice. Once to XMP and once to RAW.

"Tag original images" refers to tagging the original images rather than preview files created to include adjustments. It very rarely, if ever, makes sense to tag previews.

2. Yes, that is the default behavior of apps that support XMP sidecars: read/write the sidecar if present.  For EXIF/XMP that is the suggested setting with the assumption, that where a sidecar the intent is to use that. Moreover, since other applications should read from the sidecar rather than the image, updating the sidecar is the best option for compatibility.

0 0
camner

Also, with respect my original question #2 (re how HG handles gaps in the tracks), I fear I did not ask the question clearly.  I am not talking about extending or merging tracks, I don't think.  I am talking about a single track file with significant time gaps between consecutive entries, either because of pausing and restarting the track app (which doesn't start a new track file), or because I am using a track app that automatically pauses logging when one has not moved a minimum distance (typically 10 meters).  To give a particular example, let's say that the track app has only two entries: one with a time stamp of 10:00GMT at GPS location A, and the next consecutive log entry has a time stamp of 11:00GMT at GPS location B, and the camera takes a photo at 10:45GMT.  What are the GPS coordinates that HG will assign to this photo?

Thanks again.
0 0
houdah
With both points on the same track and with a "matching limit" set to the default 0 (no limit), HoudahGeo would assign a location 3 quarters of the way between the two locations.

0 0
camner
Thanks for all of your time; I understand how HG works much better now.  
0 0