Clicky

ddoohickey
Hi all

I've just bought HoudahGeo to help me geotag my photos.

I have a whole lot of waypoints saved in Garmin BaseCamp from a recent hike, and photos (in iPhoto) taken at some of these waypoints. I would like to geotag the appropriate photos using the waypoints I have saved, for this purpose.

I have named my waypoints meaningfully, in BaseCamp, and exported them as .GPX files for use in HoudahGeo. If I try and use the "Load GPS data from file" option a window (that seems to resemble the geotag photo window) slides down and back up again before I can intervene. No photos receive a geotag. I can't stop the window disappearing and at present I am having to manually copy and paste the GPS data across to HoudahGeo to geotag. Obviously, I bought HoudahGeo so that I wouldn't have to do the copy and paste routine.

If it helps, I've tried using a separate .GPX file for each waypoint and with  a single .GPX file containing multiple waypoints. I've also tried using .CSV files - just in case Garmin's idea of GPX1.1 wasn't compatible with the .GPX HoudahGeo needs. HoudahGeo behaves in the same way. Just in case, I tried to upload the Garmin BaseCamp-created .GPX in question, but the forum won't let me post a .GPX file.

Am I doing something wrong, or has something broken?

Many thanks
David

P.S. I also have a track log from my GPS for this hike, but the camera operator changed the batteries in the camera before we started and didn't re-set the camera's clock. Consequently, I have no accurate time data associated with each image, so I can't use the track log to geotag the photos. Instead, I would like to use the waypoints I marked, as a backup, for this purpose.) 
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The sheet that slides by irritates many a user. It was put up to visualize that something is happening. You may access the sheet using the "Geocode from Tracks & Waypoints" from the "Geocode" menu.

HoudahGeo should geocode photos to waypoints automatically if they are reasonably close in time. This is unlikely to work in your case as the camera clock was off.

You may however easily attach images to a waypoint by selecting it from the drop-down in the Inspector window.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
ddoohickey
Hi Pierre

Thank you for your speedy reply.

I omitted to mention earlier, that I am using HoudahGeo 2.7.

Unfortunately, even after I have tried to "Load GPS data from file", and the window has come and gone, there are no waypoints from which to make a selection in Inspector. There are no "Bookmarks", either, if that helps.

In case it is relevant, I have enabled the "Archive Track Logs" option in Preferences and set it to use a directory under the ~/Documents folder. It is populated with data on each occasion that I run "Load GPS data from file". Initially it is the same as the name of the .GPX file holding the waypoint, and on subsequent occasions it seems to generate its own unique name. Nevertheless, this stored data does not seem to be accessible from within HoudahGeo.

Cheers
David
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Could you email me a sample GPX file?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
ddoohickey
Hi again Pierre

I've sent an email to support.houdahgeo@etc. including one of the .GPX files (a single waypoint). This .GPX was generated by Garmin BaseCamp 3.1.2.

As I said in the email, please let me know if there is any additional information or testing that I can do to help.

Cheers
David
0 0
houdah
Hi David!

Thank you for sending in the file.

I have created a beta build which addresses this issue:

I hope it will help you geocode your photos.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
ddoohickey
Hi again Pierre

Many thanks for the quick fix.

I've tested the beta version, that you kindly provided, with a couple of different .GPX files created by Garmin BaseCamp (.GPX files with single waypoints and .GPX files with multiple waypoints) and both work fine.

I noticed that the data in HoudahGeo's Track Library includes the waypoints and the name of the .GPX in which they were included. Presumably I can safely clean up the relevant Track Library directory by moving to Trash all the old waypoint and track files I don't want?

Is there another, cleaner, way to remove individual waypoints from the Track Library other than deleting the whole .GPX file that added it? I'm thinking of a situation where I export a .GPX file containing 10 waypoints from Garmin BaseCamp, load all 10 into HoudahGeo, only use 5, and then want to remove the rest. At the moment, I would need to delete all 10 (by expunging the .GPX file containing them), then re-export only the five waypoints that I had used as a new .GPX file, then re-load the new .GPX file in HoudahGeo.

Thanks again
David
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahGeo has no track log editing or managing features.

The Track Library is merely a safety net for those importing track logs directly from their devices: it makes sure that the track logs stick around in a standard file format.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0