Clicky

levelbest
OK, back when Mavericks was out, openmeta was a nice solution. Then, Finder started using tags, other programs standardized on tags. The problem is now, since I am using HoudahSpot more and more to standardize locating my project pieces and my organization, when I use "keyword and tags", I get not just the tags, but the old openmeta tags as well.

I couldn’t tell until I hit option-i in HS and I saw an openmeta listing with the words that I am getting hits for in in a search. The trouble is, I no longer remember how I was putting those openmeta tags in and as far as I can see, HS wont NOT look for them or show them so that I can delete them.

This has become a rather large PITA and I would very much like to see how to either have HS completely ignore openmeta tags in a search or - even better, how to clear out those old openmeta tags that I just don't use anymore.

Any ideas?

Thanks
0 0
houdah
Hi!

“Keywords and Tags” searches Finder tags, keywords and both old-style and newer OpenMeta tags. Use “Tags” to search only by Finder tags.

I assume you could use the Leap application to remove OpenMeta tags. You may also want to try the OpenMeta command-line tool

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
levelbest
Leap is not working as it should. I have written to the developer in hopes of resurrecting it. I had made a decision to migrate to HS and stay with it a while back.

I will have to look at other openmeta solutions as you  suggest.

I am not understanding the difference in HS with comment and spotlight comment. The HS user guide doesn’t make this very clear.

Thanks
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahSpot searches the Spotlight index. Spotlight relies on importer plug-in to extract text and metadata from files. macOS includes importers for many “standard” file formats. Third party applications should include importers for the proprietary file formats they create.

The developers of the Spotlight importers are free to decide what information to share with Spotlight and how to label it. One mail client may refer to the sender as “sender” while another mail client may hand it do Spotlight as “author”.

“Spotlight Comment” is set by the system. This is the comment you can enter in the Finder Info window for a file. In some versions of OS X, it was actually labelled “Spotlight Comment” here.

While importer plug-ins are free to invent and name metadata attributes, Apple does make suggestions. “Comment” is one such suggestion. The developer documentation describes it as “A comment related to the file. This differs from the Finder comment.” Calendar uses it for event details, Microsoft Word uses it for the comment entered in document properties, etc.

You can use the File Info window in HoudahSpot to see what metadata is available for a given file

1. Open File Info window from the Window menu
  2. Locate the file you want to inspect using Finder, or any other application
  3. Drag the file into the File Info window
  4. The bottom section of the window will show file metadata found in the Spotlight index
You can assume that other files of the same type will have the same metadata. E.g. if you find that mail messages have a subject, you can search for other messages by subject.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0