Clicky

bander
When clicking on path at bottom of the search window to open one of the folders that contain the item there have been times that the folder and contents start creating copies within copies (many more than the number of times that I have clicked on the directory or item). When this happens the only way to stop this is that I need to force quite HoudaSpot.

Option click on the folder or item to reveal in finder is a much safer method within HS and has never caused the same effect.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? 

thanks

b

10.11.2 - Version 4.1.3 (Build 12140)

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I am not quite sure I understand. Does the Finder open multiple windows showing the same folder or are files or folders duplicated?

Next time you see this happen, please do the following:
  1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app
  2. Select HoudahSpot in the list of processes
  3. Select "Sample Process" from the "View" menu

This creates a text report. Please email me that report. This should tell me what HoudahSpot is currently up to.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
bander
"Does the Finder open multiple windows showing the same folder or are files or folders duplicated?"

For example:
1. I have searched on an image name and the image is in the search results window.
2. I double click on the folder that contains the image in the path at the bottom of the window
3. Multiple images start appearing in the HS window as multiple copies of the containing folder are being duplicated in the finder. The finder doesn't open any windows, just keeps making folder copies within folders. 

folder/folder/folder/folder/folder...... etc.

It doesn't always happen but when it does there can be 20-30+ folders to dig through.

I'm not sure I'll have the patience to grab a sample process when this is happening but I'll try.

thanks

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Do you know if it is HoudahSpot or Finder copying the files?

I believe the root cause is that the path elements at the bottom of the window can be dragged and also accept file drops. You can thus accidentally drag a folder and copy it into itself.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
bander
Hi Pierre

>You can thus accidentally drag a folder and copy it into itself.

That sounds like the problem. I also use a Wacom Tablet, and this may complicate the subtleties of click/drag within an app. I created a test folder and tried my best to recreate the duplicating of folders but was unsuccessful.

The only thing that makes me wonder if there is something else occurring is the multiple copies that are being made, far more than me clicking or dragging. It's as though I've initiated a loop, I haven't let it continue to see how many it will create.

No worries, I will try to control-click in the future.

b
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I was able to re-create the problem. It is possible to drag a folder onto itself. This can create a loop of HoudahSpot continuously “discovering” new files to copy.

I will work on a fix. Thank you for reporting the issue.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
bander
Pierre

HoudahAmazing! that is some great support.

Wishing you all the best

b

0 0