Clicky

fwolfe
For years I have been searching files of the statistical program, Stata. One file type in particular is "anyname".ado (.ado).  I made a template that has "content type = com.stata.stata.ado"  That has always worked. 

Today I wasn't sure if I was picking up all these files in my searches so I rebuilt the spotlight index (twice). The above search didn't find the usual files. I discovered that the content type of the .ado files was now "com.apple.alias-file." Such files appeared in HoudahSpot, could be searched by tags, but could not now be searched by "text content" or "any text." Even if found with tags, trying to add a text search resulted in 0 return. Earlier today a text search up "qtype" identified 65 files, but now 0 files are identified. I appear to have permission to read and write the files, and spotlight appears to have permission. But I can't search in the content of the file any more.

Can you spread any light on this problem and what I might do to be able to do a full search again.

I'm using HoudahSpot 3.8.7. Machine is Mac Pro 2013, OSX 9.3

Thanks,

Fred
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Not sure what could be happening.

Could your files have been replaced with aliases?

Is Stata still installed on your Mac?

The actual files should not be of type com.apple.alias-file. If the system wrongly classifies your files as aliases, I would imagine that Spotlight would fail to index content and make it searchable.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
fwolfe
No, they are not aliases and they all "work" correctly. In the finder they are either shown as kind: Stata Ado-file or kind: Textwrangler text file. Everything was running correctly yesterday and earlier today. I first noticed the problem when I reindexed. I'll reboot and reindex again.
0 0
houdah
Try this:

1. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
2. Type "mdls ". Without the quotes, but with the trailing space
3. Drag one of your files into the Terminal window. It should now read something like

mdls /Users/fwolfe/somename.ado

4. Hit Return

The Terminal will display the what Spotlight knows about the file. Of particular interest is the value for kMDItemContentTypeTree.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
fwolfe
I left for a while and when I came back after about 3 hours (I had rebuilt the spotlight index again), I did what you suggested. The results were:

Last login: Sat May 31 15:12:50 on console

MacPro2014:~ fwolfe$ mdls /Users/fwolfe/Ado/Personal/getrps.ado 

kMDItemContentCreationDate     = 2006-04-30 14:05:56 +0000

kMDItemContentModificationDate = 2014-05-30 17:49:56 +0000

kMDItemContentType             = "com.stata.stata.ado"

kMDItemContentTypeTree         = (

"com.stata.stata.ado",

"public.text",

"public.data",

"public.item",

"public.content",

"public.plain-text"

)

kMDItemDateAdded               = 2014-04-25 14:32:00 +0000

kMDItemDisplayName             = "getrps.ado

The I looked in HoudahSpot again, and this time the contentType had returned to "com.stata.stata.ado" and everything was working correctly again in HoudahSpot. Perhaps I just needed to wait longer after starting the index rebuild. In any event, thanks for you help. HoudahSpot is among the programs I could not live without. I appreciate your help.

Fred

0 0