Clicky

DingDongDaddy
while performing an audio metadata search today I compared the Houdah search results with the same search in iTunes. Theoretically I should get the same results but Houdah had a lower number of hits.

Tracing the difference I see that metadata in the COMMENT field where I was searching is present in iTunes but not Houdah. In fact the Houdah COMMENT metadata was blank in all missing files.

Now I have a mix of m4a and mp3 tagged files. The iTunes-tagged m4a COMMENTs  seemed to be all there while possibly the iTunes-tagged mp3 COMMENTs are MIA in Houdah.

Can anyone explain why Houdah does not always honor the COMMENT field?

David

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Searching MP3 by iTunes comment works fine here.

HoudahSpot is based upon Spotlight. It can only see what Spotlight has indexed. If you can find the file using Spotlight, you should be able to find it using HoudahSpot. If you cannot find it using Spotlight, there may be a problem with your Spotlight index.

Be sure to search by "Comment" and not by "Spotlight comment". These are distinct attributes.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
DingDongDaddy
Thanks for your speedy response. I have attached an example of the issue. Note the comparison of Houdah metatags on top vs. the iTunes tags below. All tags in Houdah are populated except the COMMENT field. Also note that the search is by file name so we have like-kinds here.

Are you saying that Houdah does not show the COMMENT field because Spotlight never indexed it? But because I didn't search by comment in this example why would Houdah not just display the COMMENT field as is?

Thanks,
David

PS: Forget to ask - How to get rid of the decimal and zeros in the YEAR field? ex. 1927.0000 --> 1927

Click image for larger version - Name: iTunes_vs_Houdah_Comment.png, Views: 11, Size: 143.83 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Indeed, HoudahSpot can see the comment only if it has been indexed by Spotlight.

You may use the HoudahSpot Inspector window to see what Spotlight knows about a given file. Likewise you may use the command line tool mdls.

What Spotlight indexes for a particular file type is left up to the importer. Please use the following command to determine which Spotlight importer is used:

[CODE][mbp:~] pierre% /usr/bin/mdimport -d1 "01 All I Really Want.m4a"
2009-02-13 12:04:15.629 mdimport[1108:807] Imported '01 All I Really Want.m4a' of type 'public.mpeg-4-audio' with plugIn /System/Library/Spotlight/QuickTime.mdimporter.
[/CODE]

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
DingDongDaddy
2009-02-13 06:27:23.854 mdimport[6530:10b] Imported '/Users/david/Desktop/JH/JH01-004/01 JH01-004 - Track 01.mp3' of type 'public.mp3' with plugIn /System/Library/Spotlight/Audio.mdimporter.

This is a mp3 that Spotlight used "Audio.mdimporter". Is this OK? If not, how to force Spotlight to use the QT importer?

Also, need to know how to tell Houdah not to display the decimal & zeros in the YEAR field? like in 1927.0000.

Thanks...

0 0
houdah
Hi!

This explains it: You have been testing on a MP3 file while I tested on a M4A file. These are handled by different importers. It turns out Audio.mdimporter does not index comments.

There is nothing that can be done about this except for reporting the bug to Apple.

You cannot change the precision of the Year column. I will see what can be done about this.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0