Clicky

Oli
Hi,

i just bought Type2Phone but i cannot get it to connect to my iPad.
My iPad ist paired to and connected with my MacBook and Type2Phone sees is, but when I try connecting the status changes from disconnected to connecting for about a second and goes back to disconnected.

Any help would be much appreciated.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems.

Please check /Applications/Utilities/Console.app for error messages from Type2Phone.

Would you mind trying to pair the devices again?
Make sure you initiate pairing from the iPad. Not the Mac.

- On your iPhone: Settings > General > Bluetooth. If your Mac is listed with a blue arrow next to it, tap the arrow. Then tap "Forget this device"
- On your Mac: System Preferences > Bluetooth. If your iPhone is listed here, remove it from the list
- On your Mac: Switch Bluetooth off, back on and set it to be discoverable
- Launch Type2Phone
- Shutdown and reboot your iPhone
- On your iPhone: Settings > General > Bluetooth. Attempt pairing again.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Oli
Is it possible that Type2Phone does not work with iPad2?

I tried as you said but am now not even able to pair the iPad with the MacBook.

I read somewhere else that in order to pair the iOS device needs to have internet connection sharing support which my iPad does not have due to lack of a mobile data connection.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Type2Phone has been successfully tested with the iPad2.

You need an Internet connection only if you were to use your iPad as a modem for your Mac. For this you would initiate pairing from the Mac.

For Type2Phone you want the connection to work the opposite way. That's why you need to initiate pairing from the iPad.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
Oli
I have now attempted the pairing process again and also tried with an iPhone 4S.
My iPhone 4S does not even see the MacBook and the only thing I get when trying with the iPad is "Pairing unsuccessful" and on the Macbook side nothing happens.

My Macbook sees both devices without any issues.

Do you have any ideas what could be the problem? I also tried resetting the PRAM/NVRAM und the SMC without any luck.
Also did all the steps you described earlier.

The Macbook runs Lion with the latest updates and is a fresh installation.
0 0
Oli
I have found the problem.

I noticed that after turning Bluetooth on on my iPad that the quality of the music streamed from the iPad to my AirPort degraded drastically.
So I turned off WiFi on all my devices and initiated the pairing process again and it went through with both my iPad and my iPhone without any problems.
After pairing it took a few attempts to connect from Type2Phone but eventually connected and worked like it was supposed to be.
It even continues to work after enabling WiFi on all devices again. Seems WiFi only interrupted the pairing process somehow.

Thank you for your help anyway!
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Glad you got it working.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
sterlizzi
I too am having terrible problems connecting my iPad2 to my Lion MBP to use Type2Phone.  I have followed Houdah and Oli's suggestions but no help.

When I try to initiate the Bluetooth connection, the iPad asks me to input the passcode into the Mac; however, when I tell the Mac to continue, the entire process fails .  I get the failure message on the iPad2 and never have the opportunity to input the passcode on the Mac.

Also, it appears that the iPad 2 is a portable type in the Bluetooth screen.  Is that correct?

My iPhone 4 works properly.  Very strange.

Any assistance would be great since I bought this to use with my iPad.

Thanks,

Steve
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The pairing process is surprisingly random. Sometimes a code is shown sometimes it is not. I never had to actually enter a code. Only verify that both devices show the same.

Please try "Forget this device". Reboot the iPad and try pairing again.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I just had to pair an iPhone 4 to a MacBook. I also got the "not supported" message. As expected this was fixed by shutting down and restarting the iPhone.

Interestingly enough this time around I was asked to actually input the pairing code on the Mac.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
sfmitch
I have type2phone working with iPhone 4, iphone 5, iPad 1.

I just picked up an iPad Mini but can't get it to connect / bluetooth pair.

I launch Type2Phone and click new device.  On iPad Mini, I go to bluetooth and select iMac.  It tells me to enter code but there is no option on iMac.  It just brings up dialog box asking if I want to pair or not.  Yes or No both lead to failure.

Tried rebooting iPad Mini.  Turning Bluetooth on and off on iMac.

6.0.1 on iPad Mini and 10.8.2 on older iMac.

Any ideas?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I have not yet had the opportunity to test Type2Phone with the iPad Mini. There is however no reason for it not to work. Type2Phone emulates an Apple Bluetooth keyboard.

Mac OS X and iOS asking for a confirmation code during Bluetooth pairing seems to be a random occurrence. Never figured out when Bluetooth pairing skips the confirmation code.

Please try having both devices forget the other one and the boot both devices.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
Nasuada
[QUOTE]I go to bluetooth and select iMac.  It tells me to enter code but there is no option on iMac.  It just brings up dialog box asking if I want to pair or not.  Yes or No both lead to failure.[/QUOTE]

I have exactly the same problem under my iPad 1 with iOS 5.1.1. I can't get an connection to my iMac (2007) but on my iPhone 4S it works great. But it's not only a problem of Type2Phone. I got the same problem with 1Keyboard. I can't pair my iPad with the iMac.

The strangest thing...
When I try to add my iPad manually, my Bluetooth Assistent will found it imediatly and the sharing between boot devices over some different apps will work fine to.
Sometimes I can also see my iPad in the list of the connected Bluetooth devices with a green music note as device icon (see attachment).

Also I noticed that my iMac will be listed on the iPad sometimes as Keyboard but often as iMac. So.... what I can try next?

Click image for larger version - Name: ZZ12AA0A5B.jpg, Views: 26, Size: 43.12 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Please undo paring between the two devices on both ends.
For Type2Phone to work, paring needs to be done while Type2Phone is running.
Pairing needs to be initiated from Settings > Bluetooth on iOS.

My experience with Type2Phone is that Bluetooth is very reliable once paired.

Bluetooth pairing however can be temperamental . It often takes several attempts and some voodoo.
I never figured out when Bluetooth decides to ask for a passkey or not.
Whether to just ask the user to confirm the keys are identical or type it in.
All doesn't matter until the devices on both ends don't make the same choice.

The basic troubleshooting steps involve having both devices forget each other.
Please check the FAQ at http://houdah.com/type2Phone/faq.html

If that does not help, you need to add one more step:
Shutdown and restart both devices.
This cuts Bluetooth hardware from power and seems to reset the random paring behavior.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.  

0 0
Syzygynys
I tried every tip listed above, and no luck. It will not connect to my iPhone 4s, it just says "connecting..." forever and my typing never gets sent to my phone. Disappointing.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

This sounds like a Bluetooth problem.
If it is a software problem, chances are it will be fixed by shutting down and then restarting both the Mac and the iPhone.

Do you have any other Bluetooth device you can test with your Mac or your iPhone?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
Syzygynys
Yes, I have bluetooth mouse & keyboard, they work fine.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Do you have a Bluetooth device you can test with your iPhone (e.g. hands-free kit)?

Please try undoing the pairing on both ends ("Forget this device"). Shut down both devices. Restart.
Redo the parring using the following procedure:
- On Mac, open System Preferences > Bluetooth. If you are running a version older than Mavericks, make sure "Discoverable" is checked
- On Mac, launch Type2Phone and keep it frontmost
- On iPhone, go to Settings > Bluetooth. Tap the name of your Mac

If problems persist, please check /Applications/Utilities/Console.app for error messages.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
molaso
I use a MBP with Mavericks and an iPhone 4S with iOS 7.
Had no problem before, but I accidentally deleted my iPhone from the known gadgets list and now it is impossible to avoid the "pairing unsuccessful" message.
I am copyingh what the Console says with the hope that you can help me. Thanks in advance.
Saludos,
Manuel.

09/03/14 19:48:35,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:48:35,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:50:10,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:50:10,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:51:44,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:51:44,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:53:24,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:53:24,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:55:04,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:55:04,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:56:44,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:56:44,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:57:32,591 launchservicesd[115]: Application App:"BluetoothUIServer" asn:0x0-33033 pid:445 refs=5 @ 0x7ffcc3f51710 tried to be brought forward, but isn't in fPermittedFrontApps ( ( "LSApplication:0x0-0x1001 pid=104 "loginwindow"")), so denying. : LASSession.cp #1481 SetFrontApplication() q=LSSession 100005/0x186a5 queue
09/03/14 19:57:32,591 WindowServer[145]: [cps/setfront] Failed setting the front application to BluetoothUIServer, psn 0x0-0x33033, securitySessionID=0x186a5, err=-13066
09/03/14 19:57:42,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:57:53,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:58:50,918 com.apple.launchd.peruser.502[221]: (com.apple.bluetoothUIServer) Throttling respawn: Will start in 1 seconds
09/03/14 19:59:33,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 19:59:33,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:01:15,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:01:15,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:02:17,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:02:17,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:02:56,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:02:56,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:03:57,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:03:57,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:05:37,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:05:37,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:07:17,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:07:17,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:08:57,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:08:57,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:10:37,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Suspend -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
09/03/14 20:10:37,000 kernel[0]: **** [IOBluetoothHostControllerUSBTransport][SuspendDevice] -- Resume -- suspendDeviceCallResult = 0x0000 (kIOReturnSuccess) -- 0xc800 ****
0 0
houdah
Hi!

To pair your phone with your Mac, you should first undo the pairing on both ends. I.e. Select "Forget this device" in iPhone > Settings > Bluetooth and remove references to the device in Mac System Preferences > Bluetooth.

Keep System Preferences > Bluetooth open.
Launch Type2Phone. Keep it frontmost.
Initiate pairing  from iPhone > Settings > Bluetooth

This should work. Unfortunately the message from your Console are a bit worrying.
I don't know why the kernel is logging this aggressively. Did you enable an option to log Bluetooth activity?
The message from com.apple.launchd.peruser indicates that the BluetoothUIServer.app failed to launch. This is part of the the system. I don't know what its exact role is.

Please try restarting your Mac. If that does not help, please try creating a new user account.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
molaso
Hi, Pierre. Thank you very much for your quick answer. I wish all companies´ support replied so fast and thoroughly.
I finally sorted out my problem, which had its roots in my keychain-2.db file inside my iPhone. I forgot my iPhone lock password and was told to delete that file in order for the iOS to recreate it "clean". After many attempts, my mind woke up from that memory gap and remembered the 4 digits pass. The file was deleted nevertheless and soon I started to notice that my phone could not log in to any WIFI network except my private one at home. Any other log in attempt would give me the "invalid password" error message, despite the password was indeed right.
It took me a couple of days to connect the different symptoms (WIFI and Bluetooth, also my Tweeter iOS app would ask me my password every time I opened the app) and relate all of them to this file I had deleted.
I read in a page I came through after some Google research that a possible workaround was to "reset all settings" in my phone. I did that and now I have paired both of my devices at the very first try.
Thank you again and I hope this can help someone with similar problems.
Saludos!
Manuel.
0 0