Clicky

fwolfe
I continue to be confused about the difference between "contains phrase" and "contains words."

I did a search in "any text" for "Bernstein." "Any words" found all of the Bernsteins, but "any phrase" found only few. Could anyone explain simply why this happens.

Thanks,

Fred Wolfe
0 0
houdah
Hi!

"Contains phrase" is the most restrictive matching possible. The text needs to contain the exact words.

"Contains words" matches each word individually. It also ignores diacritical marks.

If you are technically inclined, you may have a look at the Query Inspector window to see the query that is submitted to Spotlight.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Sylvaticus
If I may ask on this thread:

I purchased Radioshift from Rogue Amoeba back in March and saved the PDF confirmation plus license key in /hdd1/01. inbox/pdf/.

Today, I wanted to find the license key so I opened HoudahSpot and searched:

Text Content | contains fuzzy | radioshift (and also Radioshift)
Content kind | PDF (and also -Any)

I couldn't find the file. The only way I found it was that it did find an archived Yahoo Messenger chat where I mentioned my purchase to a friend. Using the date of the chat, I found the PDF in the above mentioned folder.

My guess is I've done something wrong, like not properly setup HS to index this particular (all?) folder?

Thank you for any help!
0 0
houdah
Hi!

You probably had set HoudahSpot to search only the home folder. This is the default. You may change the default by setting up a "Preferred Template".

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
fwolfe
[QUOTE=houdah]Hi!

"Contains phrase" is the most restrictive matching possible. The text needs to contain the exact words.

"Contains words" matches each word individually. It also ignores diacritical marks.

If you are technically inclined, you may have a look at the Query Inspector window to see the query that is submitted to Spotlight.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I will have to learn the technical details of submitted queries.

The reason I asked was that the help file did not provide enough detail about what constituted a "word." Clearly, a single word and a phrase containing a single word are different. It might be helpful to add additional detail to the help file on this point.

I love HoudahSpot.

Thanks for all of your work.

Fred
0 0
houdah
Hi!

A word is defined in a pretty natural manner. The only "addition" being that camel case words are seen like multiple words.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
Sylvaticus
Merci, Pierre!

I am very embarrassed: I was about to ask how to set up a Preferred Template when I looked lower on the panel on the left and realized I was only searching Macintosh HD, not my HDD 1 drive, which is where I save all my data.

*blush*

I found the file instantly! :-)
0 0