Clicky

Gary
Hello Pierre;

Reverse Geocoding is going well except for the following.

I have some JPG photos I took on my HTC-Touch Cell-phone stored within Aperture v2.1.4 as a project (Not fantastic photos, but that's where I keep them). They contain no XMP or IPTC segment; only a valid but very rudimentary EXIF segment. When I use the Aperture Project Import function of HoudahGeo, the HoudahGeo reads the files and then promptly crashes. If I export a test master file and try to import it into a HoudahGeo project, it works fine. It only seems to have this behaviour for images from the HTC-Touch Cell-phone. 

Here is a key excerpt from the apple crash report.

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread:  17

Application Specific Information:

*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '*** -[NSCFString stringByAppendingString:]: nil argument'

I did the following EXIF - v dump of the attached JPG:

ExifToolVersion = 7.94

FileName = 2009-04-08 at 16-23-50 (IST).jpg

Directory = /Users/gary_gauthier/Desktop

FileSize = 109846

FileModifyDate = 1254969814

FileType = JPEG

MIMEType = image/jpeg

JPEG APP1 (280 bytes):

ExifByteOrder = II

+ [IFD0 directory with 7 entries]

| 0)  Make = HTC

| 1)  Model = HTC-Touch

| 2)  XResolution = 72 (72/1)

| 3)  YResolution = 72 (72/1)

| 4)  ResolutionUnit = 2

| 5)  ModifyDate = 2009:04:08 04:53:50

| 6)  ExifOffset (SubDirectory) -->

| + [ExifIFD directory with 7 entries]

| | 0)  ExifVersion = 0210

| | 1)  DateTimeOriginal = 2009:04:08 04:53:50

| | 2)  CreateDate = 2009:04:08 04:53:50

| | 3)  Flash = 0

| | 4)  ColorSpace = 65535

| | 5)  ExifImageWidth = 640

| | 6)  ExifImageHeight = 480

JPEG DQT (65 bytes):

JPEG DQT (65 bytes):

JPEG DHT (29 bytes):

JPEG DHT (179 bytes):

JPEG DHT (29 bytes):

JPEG DHT (179 bytes):

JPEG SOF0 (15 bytes):

JPEG SOS

I can see that the O/S is complaining about an unhandled exception and a 'nil' argument. That's pretty straight-forward. What's really puzzling is that if it were the file contents causing this, I would expect it not to matter whether the file was in Aperture or not. But, I don't know the code internals. Any idea what's actually causing the crash and how to resolve the issue?

Regards;

Gary

Click image for larger version - Name: 2009-04-08_at_16-23-50_(IST).jpg, Views: 5, Size: 107.27 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The attached image does not crash HoudahGeo 2.3.3 here.

Which version of HoudahGeo are you using?
Does the photo as uploaded crash your machine?
Could you please send in the complete crash report?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Gary
Hi;

I've sent the crash file, project, etc. to you via separate email.

Regards;
Gary
0 0
Gary
Did you receive my email containing crash logs and the project?

Have now upgraded to Snow-Leopard (with all updates) and done a complete re-install of HoudahGeo Version 2.3.3 (2536). By complete re-install, I mean that I've used AppCleaner to remove every last vestige of the previous version of HoudahGeo.

I then tried to load the HTC-Touch JPEGs from the Aperture Library, both as a library and individually. In both cases, it asks about clock offset and then crashes immediately upon clicking on "OK". By crash, I mean that it behaves as before and just disappears before displaying any filenames.

The HTC-Touch JPEGS are the only ones that have this effect. While they have a fully valid EXIF, they don't necessarily have all the optional portions.
0 0
Gary
An update...

Have successfully tried to geocode and save a sample HTC-Touch master JPEG file that was exported from Aperture. The sample was the same one that did not import from within Aperture.

That means that the issue lies in a failure of HoudahGeo to access the file within the Aperture library.

I am quite confident that Aperture is working as it should and the Library structure is not corrupted. The reported issue happens only when HoudahGeo tries to access an HTC-Touch JPEG within the Library.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I did receive your crash reports. The problem is indeed with HoudahGeo talking to Aperture. I will see to fix this soon.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0