Clicky

vwcHoudah
Using version 4.0.3.

Referring to 3.2.4 in the manual and the following: 

"To create a new snippet, select the criteria lines that make up your snippet in the Search pane, then either use the “Save as Snippet” command from the Search menu or make use of the context menu."

I could not initially work out how to select the criteria lines. I have tried with the mouse (and dragging) to select the criteria lines, right clicking etc. Eventually I found that by right-clicking on one criteria line an option is provided to 'Save a Snippet'. I thought this would be for only the line selected, but in fact does for all the criteria lines.

I suggest that the description in the manual is not very clear and also the selecting of one line could be confusing for the non-expert computer user.

Also there appears no way to do this with just the keyboard.

Could you make this all a bit clearer? 
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thank you for the feedback.

To select a line, you have to click its background. I.e. you have to avoid the buttons, pop-up menus and text fields.
There is a trick to make selecting rows easier: Hold the option key. You can then click anywhere in the row.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
vwcHoudah
Pierre,

Thank you for the explanation. Much clearer now. But I suggest you should make it clearer, as this is an excellent and very useful feature.

One further question. Once you name a snippet you cannot rename it (I cannot see an option to do so)?

0 0
houdah
Hi,

I will see how the documentation can be improved.
Snippets also deserve a post to the Tips & Tricks blog.

Snippets can be renamed in HoudahSpot > Preferences > Snippets.
Click a name to start editing.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
vwcHoudah
Pierre,

I spoke too soon. If I just selection one line of criteria then only that line is saved to the snippet. I have to select all the lines of the criteria. But I cannot work out how to also add location. 

I do not think that the manual explains this either, that the snippets only go so far as to cover search criteria but not location (and if this what is required than a template should be used). Is this correct?
0 0
houdah
Hi,

Snippets are sets of criteria. You can select multiple rows to save into a snippet you plan to reuse.
Hold the shift or command keys to select multiple criterion rows.

Use snippets when you frequently refine searches using the same set of criteria.
E.g. the sample snippet "Date created range" sets up the group of two criteria needed to narrow down a search by file creation dates.

Templates are saved searches that serve as blueprint to start new searches. Templates save all your settings: criteria, attributes in the criteria pop-up menus, locations, columns, sort order, etc.

Use templates for recurring searches.
E.g. the sample template "Apple Mail Messages" is preconfigured with the criteria used to find messages saved by Apple Mail. You simply need to fill in the values. It also has results set up with columns that make sense when viewing mail messages.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
jasondm007
Hi Pierre,

I love using snippets, but find myself a little frustrated by the inability to create them for locations that I commonly use.

Is there any way you would consider adding this feature?

To be honest, even from a UX perspective, I think this would make sense (e.g., based on its proximity to the criteria that you can create snippets for it's quite confusing, etc.).

Thanks for your consideration! HoudahSpot's the best!

Jason
0 0
houdah
Thank you for the feedback.

There are indeed no snippets or otherwise saved groups of locations. That could be a future improvement.

Currently, you have the following options for frequently used locations:

- HoudahSpot 5 remembers recently used locations. They will be in the pop-up menus in the Locations pane. You still have to add the lines to Locations one by one.

- You can add the locations you plan to use to your default setup. This way you can make sure that the locations are listed in the pop-up menus even when not recently used. You can also add rows to the Locations list for locations you always want to search.

- You can create templates with frequently used Locations set-ups. E.g. a template to search external drives, a template to search all folders pertaining to a certain client or project

0 0
jasondm007
Thanks, Pierre!
0 0