Clicky

ubrgeek
I know someone asked this already, but I can't find the answer: HS works off of Spotlights index, correct? Is there a way to get Spotlight (and thus HS) to search through the core Darwin files?

I was trying to track down the hosts file (I had forgotten it was in /private/etc). I was amazed when the search results showed that I had no hosts file (of course, not the case, running "locate" from the cmd line found it.)

Anyone know a way to get spotlight to index all of the core OS files (so that HS knows where they are?) Or, is there a way to get HS to use the /usr/bin/locate functionality?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

HoudahSpot indeed relies on the Spotlight index.

You may force Spotlight to index locations that Apple has excluded by default. For that you may use the mdimport command in Terminal.app.

BTW, there is no way of forcing Spotlight to index files whose name start with a dot.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
ubrgeek
Thank you Pierre. I know it's outside of things related to HS, but I was wondering if you could help: None of the instructions I've found seem to make this happen. I get it to include everything (sudo mdutil -E /) and then do what I thought kicks off the re-index (mdimport -f /) which gives me the following msg (warning, the -f option has been obsoleted, and does nothing. Incorrect start/end range ordering; fixing.) but that doesn't seem to change the results in HS. Should I be using mdutil to specifically walk through a particular directory? I did a search for *hosts in terminal and it showed up in /etc/private but not in HS...
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I don't think you need to use mdutil. Kicing off indexing using mdimport should be sufficient. The -f option is no longer needed. Just enter the command without the -f option. Try mdimport /private/etc for starters. That works fine here.

Please make sure you set HoudahSpot to search the whole drive rather than only the home folder.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
ubrgeek
You rock! That worked beautifully
0 0