Clicky

steve4640
Can you tell us the difference between Kind and Content Kind. I noticed that on my main hard drive, when I use Kind set to Folder, Houdahspot finds folders that contain, for example, a name that I use. On an attached drive, Kind does not find folders containing a name, but Content Kind does find them.

Thanks!
0 0
steve4640
Oops, correction, on the attached drive, Kind finds the folders, but Content Kind does not.

Just wanted to make sure I have this clear as folder searches are very important in my work.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Content kind and kind both match files by their Universal Type Identifier.

UTIs are organized in a hierarchy. E.g. a mailbox is also a folder and thus is also an item.

The Content kind criterion works with a set of predefined values, picked pretty high up in the hierarchy of UTIs. It is provided as a convenience.

The kind criterion allows you to specify any UTI, giving you more fine grained control. Entering a value of "public.folder" here, would give the exact same result as using a content kind criterion with a value of "folder".

When you use "find by example" on a content kind criterion it is automatically transformed into a kind criterion. This is needed to set the exact UTI value extracted from the dropped file.

Note: Unfortunately the pre-populated menu item used by the kind criterion is currently (HoudahSpot 3.5.3) broken. It fills the criterion value with the user readable representation of the UTI rather than the actual UTI value. E.g. it uses "folder" where "public.folder" would be appropriate.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I just noticed, I was doubly mistaken in my previous reply.

1. The "Kind" criterion works fine.
2. It is the "Content type" criterion which works with UTIs

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0