Clicky

robgendreau
I realize that once I add a photo to the "drag images here" pane I can see the GPS info.

But what about in the sidebar? I use iPhone pictures to get the GPS info to add to RAWs and other photos, but I have no way of knowing which of the jpgs I'm browsing in the sidebar already have geolocation info. Some of my iPhone photos do, some don't. In Lightroom or Aperture a little icon displays when a photo has location info; is there an equivalent in HoudahGeo?

BTW, all the other info shows: size, date and time, comment.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

iPhoto and Aperture store GPS info in their databases rather than writing those to the actual image files. Until recently the information was "locked away" in those proprietary databases. With recent updates, iPhoto and Aperture publish the information with the list of preview images.

HoudahGeo now could and probably should show that information alongside the other information already shown.
Thank you for that suggestion.

Seeing the GPS information there however does not imply / guarantee that the image files are indeed geotagged. It only means that the location has been determined and is stored with iPhoto or Aperture.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
robgendreau
I don't use iPhoto or Aperture; I use Lightroom and always write metadata to either the jpgs or sidecars. And I would imagine more and more of us use iPhone pictures as references for geotagging RAWs or "real" camera photos.

And while I'm at it, another suggestion. I'd like to be able to select a reference geotagged photo and then apply the location data to a range of selected photos independent of capture time, file time, etc. I am in the process of geotagging scans, imported photos, and lots of other images that may have been shot at the same location but could be years apart. I can sort of do this by doing only groups of images at a time and then using a ridiculously wide time range, but it would be easier to just select and them and apply the GPS info like a copy paste. I can do this in Lightroom, but I prefer using HoudahGeo for the export options and because I have a mix of sources of georeferencing.

And finally, is there any way to export a waypoint WITH picture? I know lots of nav apps like Gaia, Motion X, Trimble, etc allow waypoints with photos and it would be cool to be able to import both the photo and waypoint together. But I don't think there's a protocol for this. Doing a KMZ to Google Earth works, but the only other app I could find that would do it is PDF Maps, and that strips the photo out.

Thanks,
Rob
0 0
houdah
Hi!

1. You will find the option to copy-paste coordinates from the Images menu

2. GPX Export from the output menu should do just that

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
robgendreau
Duh. Sorry I missed that.

But GPX just exports waypoints, not waypoints AND photos (like KMZ does to Google Earth). Or did I miss how to do that as well?

thanks tons,
Rob
0 0
houdah
Hi!

GPX export does not export or process photos. It just adds the name or path to the already existing image file to the waypoint.

Are you looking for a way to export preview images?
Or do you plan to use HoudahGeo to copy all images to a single directory?

BTW, KML/KMZ export is template driven. You could try modifying the templates to suit your needs. I.e. let KML export create the image files, but have it write something entirely different to the KML file.
CAVEATS: This is not documented. Template format might change. Updating HoudahGeo will overwrite your changes. I cannot provide any support for template customizations.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
robgendreau
I was just trying to get waypoints that included photos into navigation apps. So referencing the images doesn't help.

Maybe my workflow will be to generate the waypoints and copy the images to an export folder. I figured out that I can find all my georeferenced photos at once by using HoudahSpot (there's not a proximity search, but messing with the lat or long value can sorta get you there, along with other data). Then I just tag the photos I want associated with the waypoints, and then when the stuff goes into the iPhone app I can figure out which photos have to be added to which waypoints. More work than I'd want, but none of the nav apps I use make it easy to import both together (maybe an Apple limitation).

Having the photos of the waypoint is a great help in navigaton when I send them to other people though so they can see what they're navigating to, especially since they are offline.

thanks for all your help,
Rob
0 0
houdah
I am still not sure I understand what you are trying to do.

I don't think there is a standard for embedding an image in a GPX file.
The best way to transfer both an image and its GPS coordinates is by storing the coordinates in EXIF/XMP metadata tags.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0