Clicky

AndrewLindsay
Hello,

I have Outlook 2011 installed, and within it I have a number of imported PST files that exist on the same level as the main folder (i.e. they are not subfolders of the main inbox).

When I do a search, I do not seem to find any results from these other PST files/folders.  How do I include these elements in the Houda Search?

Best regards

Andrew
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I don't have Outlook to test this.

HoudahSpot is based upon the Spotlight engine. This engine indexes only individual files. If several emails are stored within a single mailbox file, Spotlight and HoudahSpot will see this as one single item rather than multiple messages.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
AndrewLindsay
All working now...  It seems that sometimes Spotlight forgets to index, so you have to give it a bit of a kick and then it works OK.

The command was    "sudo mdutil -i on /"

Regards
0 0
mikebainbridge
Hi - I am evaluating HoudaSpot and Outlook 2011 for my company as we start our migration away from Windows and towards MacOS. One of the things that is holding several of us back is the anxiety over what happens to our email archives. I rely heavily and extensively on 11 pst files which go back to 1998 as do several others in the company. We currently use the excellent X1 client (x1.com) to access the old data. This has the advantage of not needing the archive to be bound into the mail client but there is no MacOs support or indeed client.

We are very mobile and cannot guarantee network connectivity so online 'solutions' are excluded.

The combination of HoudaSpot and Outlook 2011 therefore seems to be ideal and I'm just importing the data into Outlook 2011 (looks like this will take me most of the day). I would be interested to know how others have got on with this. I can see that the email template looks to be what I would mostly need.

Does anyone have experience of importing large amounts of archive .pst data into Outlook 2011  (I'm trying about 40Gb) and how does the spotlight indexing and Outlook response seem ?

TIA

Mike

0 0
mikebainbridge
Just an update - it has taken a day and a half to import about 30Gb of the old .psts The others will have wait as they are in the old format (pre 2003) . To get them to import I need to create a blank pst on the PC and then move all the mails from the old file into the new pst and then import.... At the moment spotlight does not seem to be 'seeing' any of the new mailings so I'm going to give it the 'sudo' kick that Andrew had success with above..
0 0
houdah
Hi!

If you can locate the individual email files used by Outlook, you could try the following:

mdimport -d4 "/path/to/aMailMessageFile.extension"

This does two things:

1. It forces Spotlight to import the file
2. It prints a lot of debugging information

The first part of which is of little interest: list of available importers, …
Next Spotlight says which importer it chose to whorl on the file.
Lastly you get the output from said importer. This is the metadata which Spotlight will index and which thus will be searchable.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0