Clicky

laferrera
I'm using HoudahSpot 4.1 on a MPB running El Capitan (10.11.1)
If I perform a search with Word documents in the result, double clicking a row will open Word and make it the active application but will not open the selected document.  To do that, I must right-click on the row in HoudahSpot and use OpenWith...

Nothing screwed up about the Word docs, either.  It happens to all of them.  Also, if I find the doc in the Finder and double-click from there, not will open as expected.

Not sure it is means anything, but "OpenWith..." in HoudahSpot does not indicate what application is the default, while it does in the Finder.  

It's been happening for awhile, even after deleting HS and all prefs and templates, and reinstalling.  Also, I've rebuilt the LaunchServices database and dyld shared cache, but to no avail.

Any ideas?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

When you open a file from HoudahSpot, HoudahSpot passes along the text you searched for to the next application. This allows other applications to highlight the text or let you search for it by using Edit > Find > Find Next.

This happens if you search by "text content" or "any text" or using the search field at the top of the window. It does not happen with text used to search by name: you expected to find that in the file name, not the file content.

Some applications do not support this. HoudahSpot keeps a list of problematic applications and avoids passing text to those.
Word is not one of these applications. HoudahSpot however does give Word a special treatment to work around a bug that existed in betas of Word 2016. I don't know if that workaround is still needed. It may even be what is causing the problem.

Which version of Word are you using?

Please try searching for a file by name only. Does opening the file in Word work as it should?

Please check /Applications/Utilities/Console.app > All Messages for error messages from HoudahSpot or Microsoft Word.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thank you for reporting the issue.

HoudahSpot 4.1.1 includes a workaround which allows HoudahSpot to open documents in Word 15.

Best,

Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0