Clicky

bander
I haven't been getting good search results from HS5. The search results are very slow and the image previews are not showing up correctly. The previews are weak in contrast, looks like the wrong profile or gamma.

Finally I had a break in my schedule, I downloaded and reinstalled version 4.4.2, and all is good... back to the HoudahSpot that I love, fast searches and correct image previews.

Anyone else experience this with v5?

thank you,

mac pro 5,1
2 x 3.06 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
AMD Radeon HD 7950 3 GB
64GB
0 0
houdah
Thank you for reporting the issue with washed-out previews. This will be fixed in the next update.

Testing here shows HoudahSpot 5 to actually be slightly faster on average than HoudahSpot 4.

The difference probably lies not with the search itself, but with the displaying. Different combinations of options might perform differently depending on application version, system version, and hardware. It is, for example, conceivable that rendering previews first gets faster as a faster CPU is used, but slows down when an even faster CPU maxes out the performance of the hard drive. Eventually, this could slow down all operations as these need to wait for access to the disk.

Are you using a disk drive or solid-state drive?

Does your typical search setup show a grid of previews and a Quick Look preview on the side?

Does using the list view speed things up?
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
bander
Hi

The speed issue that I mentioned is a direct comparison between v4 and v5. The same drive setup and search parameters.

I just created a video capture to show the comparison. It's a dramatic difference, v5 took 19sec to complete a task that v4 completed in roughly 1.5 seconds. Let me know if you want me to send you the video, I just need an email address.

It's not a simple setup of drives, the OS + Apps reside on SSDs, the majority of the files are saved to 16 external disk drives. This search was limited to 2 drives and a simple search for "jpg" so that I would hit a limit of 10k results to make it easier to illustrate the point. But as I mentioned above this is a direct comparison so the drive setup shouldn't be a concern.

thank you,
0 0
bander
I've sent the video comparison via the email/web link on your support page.
0 0
houdah
Thank you for the video. That is dramatic.
In tests here HoudahSpot 5 is on average about the same speed as HoudahSpot 4. The general impression being that HoudahSpot 5 is slightly faster. Thing is, I am talking about a very different order of magnitude. The differences here being so small that tests need to be timed in code and repeated several times to see which version comes ahead most often. I.e. all within a blink of an eye.

It would be very interesting to know if the performance difference also exists when showing results as a list rather than a grid. That would hint at the problem being either with the actual search and gathering of results or with the display of results or the creation of preview images.

What would also be interesting is knowing how much memory and CPU each version uses while running the search.

In my previous post I tried to show a theoretical example of how speed tests can show unexpected differences between setups. I am not saying this is what happens here. I did not elaborate enough.

Imagine an application has to display 60 previews. Read 60 image files, scale these images down, and draw them on screen. Your Mac has 6 CPU cores, but the first version of the application is not optimised and uses only 1 CPU core. It needs 60 seconds for the task.

A second version of the application uses 3 CPU cores to process 3 files in parallel. It is almost 3 times faster and needs about 20 seconds. This almost maxes out the disk drive: it cannot retrieve data much faster than this.

A third version uses all 6 CPU cores and wants to process 6 files at the same time. All 6 CPU cores start their work, but the hard disk cannot keep up. Now all 6 processing lines are waiting as the drives scrambles to provide each the requested data in piecemeal. Not only is this not any faster than the previous version. It is likely to be slower as other tasks (e.g. a running search) are also waiting for data from the disk. Ultimately all tasks are slower or basically deadlocked as they wait for one another while all waiting for the disk.

Again, this is a theoretical example. It is not unlikely that the difference between HoudahSpot 4 and 5 could be found along those lines. From a technical point of view, a major difference between both versions happens to be the grid view. It was re-written from the ground up to use newer technologies.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
bander
"It would be very interesting to know if the performance difference also exists when showing results as a list rather than a grid. "

There was a difference in speed between the grid and list view, but only a couple seconds with v5, not enough to bring it down to the level of v4. Since the results of v4 are so quick I can't tell if v4 is faster or the same.

Thanks for the additional information about how different apps can respond differently with the same task. Is this the case with v5/v4 that one app is utilizing more or less CPU cores?
0 0
bander
"What would also be interesting is knowing how much memory and CPU each version uses while running the search."

using the same parameters in video:

v5 26.8% CPU  119.3 MB 
v4 47.3% CPU    94.4 MB

results above were the maximum throughout the task

0 0