Clicky

KipV
It used to be that when I would drag an item over to the sidebar it would open and I could tag the file. Now the sidebar won't even open unless I don't drag any images over. Is there a way to bring that functionality back?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

This is actually the very purpose of the Tray.

I have just tested this to work fine on Mountain Lion. I should also work on all other supported versions of Mac OS X.

Can you reveal the Tray by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen?
Have you set a required modifier key for triggering the Tray?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
KipV
I set the modifier key to shift and the tray opens when I hold down shift and drag over to the side of the screen. The only time it doesn't work it when I am dragging a file over to the side of the screen and hold down shift. The mouse pointer is all the way to the side of the screen, the shift key is being held down but the tray doesn't pop up.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I have modified my preferences to match yours.
I am not seeing the problem here. This unfortunately makes it hard to figure out what is going wrong.

I actually don't know how to proceed.

Which version of Mac OS X are you using?
Which version of HoudahSpot are you using?

There have been several changes to the Tray lately.
Major changes were made for version 3.5.4. Later updates brought refinements and fixes to those changes.

Were previous versions working better for you?

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
KipV
I am running HS 3.5.8 on Mac OS 10.5.8. At one point the tray was completely working for me, the last version of HS I used (3.5.6) the tray completely stopped working. With the current version the tray will open only as long as you are not dragging an item over to it.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I was just able to reproduce the problem. The Tray indeed is less reliable on Mac OS X 10.5 than on more recent releases. Some wiggling of the mouse eventually convinces the Tray to appear. But that shouldn't be required.

I will see if I can fix that.

Meanwhile you may want to try downgrading to HoudahSpot 3.5.3

BTW, supporting Mac OS X Leopard is becoming increasingly difficult. Support for Leopard is likely to be phased out soon.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
KipV
I understand that it can be difficult to support an OS that is several versions back. It is great that you have supported PowerPC for as long as you did, it really makes things easy for me.
0 0
KipV
Pierre, the sidebar has started loading for me for some reason now. I think the reason it wasn't working before was I usually would use the show desktop feature (command-expose button) and then try dragging the photos on the tray, this still doesn't work. However that is ok because I can get around this by simply going to the Finder and choosing desktop from there and then dragging items onto the tray.
0 0
KipV
It just occured to me that maybe this problem doesn't have anything to do with Leopard maybe the problem has more to do with the show desktop feature and effects all versions of OS X. Can someone who is on a modern version of OS X tell me if you are able to tag a file in the try while the command-expose show desktop feature is activated?
0 0
bobembry
I'm having the same problem with Mac osx 10.6.8  and HoudahSpot version 3.5.8

Thanks

Bob
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Have you configured a modifier key for the activation of the Tray?

Does the Tray appear when you hit the screen edge without dragging a file?

Please use /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app to verify that HoudahSpotHelper is running.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
bobembry
I'm now running 10.8.2

Have you configured a modifier key for the activation of the Tray?

No

Does the Tray appear when you hit the screen edge without dragging a file?

If I stop the Helper and Restart it, the tray appears. After a Computer Restart the tray no longer appears

Please use /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app to verify that HoudahSpotHelper is running.

Yes it is running.

I just checked by Log In Items in System Preferences. The Helper's Hide Window was checked. I unchecked it. I'll see if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Bob
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I wonder if the HoudahSpotHelper process might be hanging.

Please use /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app to "Sample Process" and send me the output.
Please check /Applications/Utilities/Console.app > All Messages for error messages from HoudahSpotHelper.

There might also be a problem with HoudahSpot's preferences files.
Please quit both HoudahSpot and HoudahSpotHelper.
Then delete the following two files:

~/Library/Preferences/com.houdah.HoudahSpot.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.houdah.HoudahSpotHelper.plist

You can access your Library folder by holding the option key and selecting Library from the Go menu in the Finder.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
bobembry
After unchecking the hide window box in System Preferences the Tray survived a restart.

I'll keep watching it

Thanks

Bob
0 0
bobembry
I'm running HoudahSpot 3.5.8 on 10.8.2

The tray display is working. Even after several restarts.

Drag and drop to tray is also working

Maybe every thing is ok

Thanks

Bob
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thank you for letting me know.

I don't actually know what the "Hide Window" option in Login Items does.
I will have to investigate that.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0