Clicky

CharlesWeir
I know this isn't a Houdahspot issue, but it affects how useful Houdahspot is and I wondered if anyone knows a solution.

A year or two back, Spotlight used to properly index Evernote, with the title, date, text, and even, I think, OCR'd text from PDFs. Clicking a link in Houdahspot took one straight to the Evernote item in question.

Now with the latest versions of Evernote, it doesn't do that for me. Even upgrading the OS to Catalina didn't fix it. Evernote Mac apparently no longer offers links into Evernote notes, but actually the internal links (evernote:///view/322231/s4/4711a39a-4f7b-4654-84dd-be6f8c220xxx/4711a39a-4f7b-4654-84dd-be6f8c220xxx/ ) still work, and all the data's still available in "~/Library/Group Containers/XXXXXX.com.evernote.Evernote" so there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Does anyone have indexing of Evernote working with the latest MacOS and Evernote?

- Charles
0 0
houdah
I believe Evernote has stopped supporting Spotlight indexing a while ago. Here ~/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote has not been updated since spring 2019. Evernote should put a .enspot file here for each note in your account.
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
CharlesWeir
Interesting. What went in the .enspot file?
0 0
houdah
The file was actually empty. Only the name of the file seems important. It identifies a note in Evernote.

Thing is Spotlight indexes files. The Evernote notes are not available as individual files. The notes are stored in a notebook database.

Thus Evernote (like all "shoebox" apps) resorts to a trick: it creates a dummy for each note in the notebook. Spotlight sees the file and calls upon the Evernote Spotlight importer to extract text and metadata from the file. The importer then finds the actual note, retrieves content, and hands it to Spotlight for indexing.

HoudahSpot can then find the .enspot file. When you double-click the file, it opens in Evernote. From the name of the file, Evernote then knows which note to show.

1 0
CharlesWeir
What is odd is that the Evernote app seems to have support for Spotlight indexing. There's a plugin in /Applications/ Evernote.app/Contents/PlugIns called EvernoteSpotlight.appex . Opening it with the 'Quick Look Simulator.app' (whatever that might be) shows a list of all my notes, so it's working up to a point, but clicking on one shows 'Core Spotlight Preview Extension not found', even though there's another plug-in there called EvernoteQuicklook.appex which one would expect to do that job.

Taking a look inside,EvernoteSpotlight.appex's plist entry has DTSDKName macosx10.15 (and Minimum system version 10.13) , so it seems unlikely it's just for a pre-Catalina OS. 

But I've no idea how to run a spotlight app extension or to see what's happening when I do... 😦
0 0
houdah
macOS has two different indexing technologies:
  1. Spotlight, introduced with OS X 10.4, indexes files. It watches the disk for changes and then calls upon importer plug-in to index the files. That is why applications that save data in a shoebox database use dummy proxy files like the .enspot files
  2. the newer Core Spotlight index can index anything you hand it. But: applications have to actively hand data to Core Spotlight indexing. I.e. an application like Evernote could hand a note over to Core Spotlight when you make an edit.

Core Spotlight has another big disadvantage. Apple does not allow third-party applications to search Core Spotlight for anything but the data they submitted themselves. Over the past few years Apple has moved Notes and Safari bookmarks to Core Spotlight. These also are no longer available as individual files for HoudahSpot to work with. In macOS 10.15 Catalina, Apple has moved indexing of Mail messages to Core Spotlight. Now, despite the fact that Mail messages exist as individual files, third-party applications are locked out of searching Mail messages. This is a privilege Apple reserves to its own applications

It is possible that Evernote has moved or is in the process of moving to Core Spotlight. I.e. if you see Evernote notes appear in the Spotlight window, but not in HoudahSpot, that would mean the search results come from Core Spotlight. Again, it is very unfortunate (maybe even unethical) that Apple has reserved the privilege to searching that data to only the anemic Spotlight window.

The EvernoteSpotlight.appex indeed is related to "Core Spotlight" indexing. Strangely, the Evernote application still includes the .mdimporter used for traditional Spotlight indexing. Without the .enspot files it however is of no use.

Also, without the .enspot files, HoudahSpot has nothing it can show you. HoudahSpot lists files. These need to have names, paths, etc. It cannot work with data stored in a third-party shoebox database.

1 0
CharlesWeir
Ah. Yes, so even if Evernote did get their act together, Houdah wouldn't see the results. Hmm. 

So I've resorted to a kludge. Every now and again, I export all my notes as HTML to a directory, then run this bash script over it to get the dates right:

#!/bin/bash

for F in *.html; do

DATE=`sed -n -e 's/.*\<meta name=\"updated" content=\"\([0-9]*\)-\([0-9]*\)-\([0-9]*\) .*/\1\2\3/p' "$F"`

touch -t ${DATE}0000 "$F"

FDIR=${F%.html}_files

if [[ -d "$FDIR" ]]; then

touch -t ${DATE}0000 "${FDIR}" "${FDIR}"/*

fi

done

Evernote is remarkably helpful here. If you control/right click on one of these HTML files in Houdah, it gives the option to open in Evernote. And that works!

0 0