Clicky

boblister
After adding location EXIF metadata to one image in a group I noticed a difference in the Lens metadata as a result of the Houdahgeo operation.  The image Lens metadata was initially shown as "EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM"  but is now shown as "Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS".  Although it is saying essentially the same thing, if I needed to search on the original metadata string then the modified image would be missed in the search.  I don't even know if this is done as a result of using Houdahgeo.  It may be something caused by an upgrade of to Lion or Aperture at some point.  Any ideas?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

This is a side-effect of HoudahGeo using exifTool to update EXIF data. exifTool has the lens names listed in the HoudahGeo.app/Contents/Resources/lib/Image/ExifTool/Canon.pm file.
You may alter that file to provide your preferred name for the lenses. You will however need to repeat the process after each HoudahGeo update.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
boblister
Thank's but it may be best to live with it.  It may be easier now that I am aware of this feature to approach any searches differently.  I was under the impression that only fields that needed modification would be changed.
0 0
boblister
Pierre,  I have asked Phil, the author of exifTool if there was a way around the problem.  I will post his reply.

"There are 2 distinct distinct aspects to this problem:

1) ExifTool decodes a numerical lens identifier according to the lookup tables in Canon.pm as you mentioned.  Some Canon models also store lens names as strings in the metadata, and the strings that Canon uses may be different than those generated by ExifTool.  Unfortunately, there is no way around this since there is no way that Canon will ever support all of the 3rd party lenses that ExifTool recognizes.  ExifTool includes the make in the lens string to differentiate Canon lenses from Sigma, Tamron, etc.  But Canon of course doesn't care about those other makes.

2) HoudahGeo is changing the "Lens Data" field in your images.  I don't understand why this should happen if you are just geotagging images.  This is a HoudahGeo feature, and not an ExifTool problem because ExifTool gives complete control over the metadata that is changed.

- Phil"

I was wondering. Is there a way to only write the data fields that are being modified?
0 0
houdah
Hi!

That's odd. HoudahGeo passes on only values for the attributes checked during EXIF export. There is no option for the lens attribute.

There are two situations where a slightly different behavior may appear:

- If there is a problem with the existing metadata, HoudahGeo has exifTool extract all of the metadata to a file and then writes it back to the image in the hope to clean the data.

- If you have HoudahGeo create XMP sidecars. The sidecars may contain updated lens information.

Could you send me a sample unmodified file so I can run tests with it?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
houdah
Hi!

This is getting weirder. I have just tried HoudahGeo on a Canon CR2 file.

The lens information remains the same before and after geocoding:

[CODE]Lens Type : Canon EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM
Lens Model : EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
Lens Drive No AF : Focus search on
Lens AF Stop Button : AF stop
AF Microadjustment : Adjust by lens; 0; -5; 2; 0
Lens : 17.0 - 85.0 mm
Lens ID : Canon EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM
Lens : 17.0 - 85.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 26.9 - 134.7 mm)[/CODE]

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
boblister
Now I am totally confused as well.  I exported an unmodified master file (.cr2) from Aperture as well as one that had its exif data modified by HoudahGeo, the latter was showing the altered lens data when I exported it.  Just to be sure I had done the export correctly, I reimported the two images into a new project.  When I check the exif data on these two files the lens data is identical both showing the modified lens data.  As an experiment I chose another image that shows lens data as "EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM" and chose Update From Master in Aperture and now the lens data is shown as "Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS".
Next test was to import a test image from the camera and lens into Aperture. Sure enough the exif data is shown as "Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS".  So basically the problem is nothing to do with HoudahGeo or exifTool.  It appears to be Aperture.  I don't know if this is following an Aperture/OS X update but it seems to be a change within the last three months.

Thank's for the help with your side of things.
0 0