Clicky

AndyDent
Symptoms:
- ACTPrinter Mac comes up after selecting Print to iPhone
- device I chose the first time is remembered
- click OK - no visible change
- after a while sheet "Failed to print to device" appears on ACTPrinter Mac
- problem is independent of what I try to print and from what application

I deleted the filter and PDF workflow and re-ran ACTPrinter to install - seemed OK

/Users/andydent/Library/Filters/ACTPrinter.qfilter
-rw-r--r-- 1 andydent andydent 653 11 Dec 14:55 ACTPrinter.qfilter

tried changing permissions to -rwxr-xr-x but no difference

I had a look at your Print to iPhone workflow and customised it to dump the document.
cat "$*" > ~/andylogiphone.pdf
open -a "ACTPrinter Mac" "$*"

The document that is dumped seems OK.

If I just drag a PDF document straight to ACTPrinter I see only an acknowledgement of the device connection in the console log:
03/5/09 9:37:51 AM ACTPrinter Mac[4602] name: AndyD16G1

NOTE the behaviour seems the same regardless of being on the same wifi or my Mac being on the wired LAN to which my wifi bridges.

Console log for failed print.

03/5/09 8:52:03 AM [0x0-0xe50e5].com.houdah.ACTPrinterMac[4321] inflating: /Users/andydent/Library/PDF Services/Print to iPhone.workflow/Contents/document.wflow
03/5/09 8:52:31 AM Automator Runner[4324] Error while processing arguments
03/5/09 8:52:31 AM Automator Runner[4324] Error while processing arguments
03/5/09 8:52:33 AM Automator Runner[4324] PDF Quartz Filters: could not open Quartz Filter

03/5/09 8:52:33 AM ACTPrinter Mac[4328] name: AndyD16G1

0 0
houdah
Hi!

Sorry to hear ACTPrinter is not working as expected for you.

The message "Failed to print to device" comes up when there is a communication error between your Mac and the device. E.g. the WiFi network was dropped, the iPhone was switched off, ...

The Automator error is more surprising. Indeed, if it can't run the Quartz filter, the script should fail. Thus ACTPrinter Mac would never come up.

You may delete the Quartz filter from the workflow. It is not strictly necessary. It exists to reduce the size of images embedded into the PDF.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
AndyDent
THANKS, IT'S FIXED!

Based on your insistence that it had to be a comms problem I got to the bottom of it - I had a manually specified wifi address which was in a 192.168.0 range rather than the 10.0.1 range from the DHCP on my Airport Base Station. With the mask being 255.255.255.0 that prevented them seeing each other. I'm still puzzled as to how my device was able to be seen by ACTPrinter Mac enough to make it a device to choose but it couldn't communitate

That would be a good thing to add to your FAQ - make sure the IP masks are compatible. In the longer run though, it is a real pain to have to disconnect the wired connection and turn on wifi - it would be much more convenient if the iPod could work through the gateway on the AirPort to see the Mac.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The Mac should see the iPhone, if your AirPort Basestation bridges the wired network to the WiFi network: i.e. addresses on the wired network are in the same range as those on the WiFi.

Then your Mac may be wired to the basstation which in turn connects wirelessly to the iPhone.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
AndyDent
Thanks for pointing that out - you might want to lighten up a bit on your documentation pushing so hard about people having to be on the same wifi.

I've tested with a laptop and Safari on my iPod and they can't see the web server running on my main Mac so there's obviously something wrong with my wifi mapping. I'll post more details here when I work it out.

That might be a good test to have in your FAQ - if you turn on web sharing on your Mac, can you see it from Safari on your iPhone?
0 0
AndyDent
I now have my iPod happily receiving ACTprints over wifi from my Macbook which is on the wired LAN. As seen in the attached screenshots, I had to change my Airport setup so instead of sharing addresses behind a NAT-mapped single port, it now generates addresses in a range 192.168.0.* which is compatible with the 255.255.255.0 mask used on my wired LAN. Click image for larger version - Name: NAT-based_Airport_blocks_ACTPrinter.png, Views: 12, Size: 107.30 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Shared_IP_Range_Airport_OK_with_ACTPrinter.png, Views: 14, Size: 107.98 KB
0 0