Clicky

rlfsoso
Hi,

I REALLY need to be able to enhance the results-display beyond sorting one criteria and then filtering the results.

I'd nee d to be able to sort for Name AND (modification/creation) Date AND Kind at the same time. What about Grouping, collapsing like in Tiger?!

Since results are displayed within HS anyway, shouldn't this be possible?

In addtion: what about the option to export a search from GS as a (Finder) smart Folder? This would enable me to use this search in Leap or Yep. Since HS is lacking display options for the search results this come in handy.

Thanks a bunch, and for the ongoing development!!

Rolf
Rolf Schmolling

http://rolf_schmolling.macbay.de/
0 0
houdah
Hi!

If you wish to sort by date first and then by name, you will need to click the "Name" column header first and then click the "Modified" column header.

The latest column clicked determines the main / first sort order. Existing sort orders continue to be accounted for.

Which display options do you find missing from HoudahSpot?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
rlfsoso
Hi,

yes that is true, though I failed to see that possibility (suggestion a visual clue on the order of the SORTING columns: 1. sorting column=blue (as it is now), 2. one=greyed/bluish or sth.?), still I might not have described what I had in mind properly.

In Tiger one got results grouped by Type (collapsible!!). I THEN would like to be able to further sort these grouped items by date/name etc., clearly indicated by visual clues.

Is this more clear? I am sure a LOT of people miss this possibility even though they like the Leopard-only enhancements.

In addition: I think some display of the files as icons (mixed view: list+icons) would help those who work predominantly with images (not me…). Quick-view is fine but if one is not able to narrow done the search to a smaller list of files this gets uncomfortable.

Thanks for the response,

What about the export of Finder-Smart-Folders from HS?

Rolf
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The idea of HoudahSpot is to narrow down on the files you search. Thus, rather than having groups, it would be more natural to add a content type criterion.

I have been considering an icon view for quite some time now. One day I will get around to implementing it.

Creating Finder SmartFolders is quite some hack. It requires reverse engineering a closed file format. I'd rather not go down that road. You may use HoudahSpot Templates as an alternative to SmartFolders.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Eurobubba
Picking this up again after a few years because I'd also (still) like to be able to build Finder smart folders using a more robust search tool like HoudahSpot. Actually, I don't really care whether the persistent file takes the form of a Finder smart folder or a HoudahSpot template, but I'd like to be able to open the search in the Finder to take advantage of the world of AppleScripts and all the other hacks and utilities out there that work with the Finder.
0 0