Clicky

Wanapitei
I'm embarrassed. I've been using HoudahSpot for years, but have never really learned the interface to any real depth. Pierre kindly sent me solutions to two problems, and they work. But in playing around with one of them I now find this Mac has overwritten that original with my experiments. Can't get back to square one.

I'm intrigued by Mavericks' tags feature. HoudahSpot (in the right hands) will be a powerful tool for a planned project. So my issue is how to learn HoudahSpot beyond the surface level. I notice the file "HoudahSpot Help EN" is both rather brief and contains no screenshots. 

My klutzy questions:
  1. How do I turn off automatic saving of a query when I'm really just experimenting?
  2. How do I search for Maverick tags that are Red but not Yellow in a collection of files, some tagged with both, some with just Red. This is the key insight I was asking Pierre about, the one I experimented with and spoiled. 
  3. What's the function of the * character in HoudahSpot searches? I suspect it means the tag field has content. I've attached Pierre's solution for finding untagged files (Image1) the one that still works. 
  4. Somehow I've ended up with this monstrosity (Image2) where the Add Criterion command is greyed out. Once any of the Add Group commands is added none of the existing commands can be deleted, nor any of the other commands added. 
  5. Strange — when I invoke ANY of the Add Group commands it is automatically added at the very top of the What section, duplicating the existing command. And can't be moved. See Image3. What am I misunderstanding?
  6. What the heck is kMDQueryScopeHome?
Your guidance is very much appreciated.

Click image for larger version - Name: Image1_Pierre's_Solution.png, Views: 4, Size: 35.22 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Image2_TheMonstrosity.png, Views: 4, Size: 24.98 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Image3_TheStrange.png, Views: 6, Size: 36.92 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

1. HoudahSpot should no save automatically. It should only save if you hit command-S. HoudahSpot searches are documents. You can "Save as" or otherwise duplicate the documents.

2. In short: "ALL of the following(Mavericks tag is Red, NONE of the following(Mavericks tag is Yellow))"

3. The * character is a wild card. The only one in HoudahSpot. It matches any text. I.e. "Mavericks tag is *" matches files having any tag (but not none). Nest that in a NONE group to get files with no tags.

4. That document might be corrupted.

5. Groups added from the toolbar buttons or menu items "wrap" around the currently selected criteria. Click a criterion row to see how a selected row is slightly raised.

6. kMDQueryScopeHome is how Spotlight refers to your home folder. HoudahSpot should display that as "- User home folder". You should not be seeing this.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Wanapitei
Thank you for your prompt response.

1. Undoubtedly the file got overwritten due to my ingrained habit of hitting Command-s periodically. In this specific context (experimenting with a supplied solution to see how it works) was a foolish thing to do. May I request a locked fresh copy of the "Red but not Yellow" solution? 

3. & 5. How is nesting performed in HoudahSpot? That was the essence of my bafflement in question 5. By adding the commands I assumed a nesting opportunity would be the result. However the inserted ALL, ANY, NONE commands would not budge from their initial position. Nor could I add any other search criteria in any location.

3. 4. 5. and 6. Your responses to these questions lead me to suspect my copy of HoudahSpot may have become corrupted. What steps do you recommend to put things right?

New question: Are there annotated screenshots of HoudahSpot in action? I find the absence of screenshots makes the HoudahSpot Help file difficult to follow. 

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I have attached the search documents.

The Help documentation made a big leap forward with HoudahSpot 3.8. But it could still be improved.

Maybe this video can clear things up:
http://screencast.com/t/YzJuqEsY

I think only the document became corrupted. The kMDQueryScopeHome thing is a bug.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0
Wanapitei
Hi, Pierre

The clue on what's going on is in the screencast. It features a very different HoudahSpot toolbar than the one I've been using. Don't recall seeing those overlapping circles before. See attached. How do I get the proper toolbar?

Kind regards from Toronto, where it is snowing.

Click image for larger version - Name: MyToolBar.png, Views: 3, Size: 22.29 KB Click image for larger version - Name: TheVideo'sToolBar.png, Views: 3, Size: 11.55 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

You can customize the toolbar from the View > Customize Toolbar menu.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

0 0