Clicky

Teaman
I've been trying to incorporate Houdah Geo into my photo workflow now for weeks and I'm frustrated by a number of things. I must pass this on so that those of you developing it can consider this input and hopefully incorporate improvements.

1. I geocoded a bunch of photos, nearly 1000, saved them out to the files, then went into Lightroom 2 and read the metadata from the files in.  This process took quite a while just crunching on my MacBook Pro. I then found out that the location info was missing. Argh!!  I had forgotten that Geo doesn't auto supply the location info when tagging.  Another product I use does and it's frustrating that Geo doesn't do it automatically.  At a minimum it should prompt you when saving the metadata to files if it sees this step hasn't been done yet. I had to go back and open the project files containing the photos involved and reverse geocode them.

2. Why is it called Reverse Geocoding for getting the locations from the geocodes?  My intuition says that it will overwrite my geocodes with something from another source.  Why not call it Geocode Location Lookup or similar?

3. When I reverse geocoded the photos, one of the checkboxes was to get the altitude.  I checked it yes.  Mistake!!  It started inserting the altitudes from my data with -9999 values or similar. Yikes. I hit the Stop button.  Fortunately you have an Undo capability I could go back to.  Is this  a bug?  The data is for Skagway, AK in the US.

4. Why is the reverse geocoding info not listed in the file list?  The only place I could view the location info is in the Inspector which only shows up for one photo at a time.  Add it as columns to the right of the geocoding info.  Please.

5. During the process of crunching the reverse geocoding on a selection of photos, it popped up an error saying a photo couldn't be looked up or something.  The button was blocked out as if a rectangle black box was over most of the button with only a little of the rounded blue button image showing on either side.  I figured the button said OK but it was black and obscured. This error popped up about 5 or 6 times in my batch of several hundred photos.

6. When that batch processing of the reverse geocoding was done, I tried to go back to find those images images it couldn't lookup.  I ran the reverse geocode command again on just that selected photo.  It popped up no error this time.  But I couldn't tell if it did it or not. I then opened the Inspector.  It hadn't.  No location data was there.  So why did it not show the error consistently?  I then went to adjacent photos and lo, found many photos with no location information yet it was clearly in the same place as some photos that did have the location (Skagway, AK).  This is very disconcerting!!  This may be an issue with the lookup database from Google (the one I used) but looking up a location a few dozen feet away from a photo that it did find in the town seems inconsistent.

7. I then tried to insert the missing location information manually.  Have you tried this?  it's painfully slow since you have to.... click the list window to select it, click the photo you want to inspect, click the inspector window and/or field, type in the info, click back into the list window, click the next photo, click back to the inspector window, click into the field, etc.  Slow slow slow. If the location info was in the photo list window it would be much faster to:
a. locate the photos that have missing location information
b. faster to type in the info if I could select a group of photos in the list and do a "Fill Down" function that would fill all selected photos with the same info as the first photo selected...like Excel spreadsheets allow you to do with a column of cells.  In fact, this Fill Down feature would be slick for filling in geocode data for photos that have no tracking data to support the photo, like when you go into a building and the location is the same as the one taken outside but there's no geodata.

0 0
Teaman
Update to the above post:

4. I just now discovered that you can list the location data in columns.  But why isn't that the default?  I didn't know that was there. So I've turned on the viewing of the Location, Province (could this be State/Province?), Country.

I should add that this is all with v.2.2.6 of HoudahGeo.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Just read you second message. Why did you stick with an outdated version of HoudahGeo?

1. Reverse geocoding is not done automatically mainly because it requires an Internet connection. This is however a request I hear often. I hope to find an acceptable solution in the future.

2. I am no fan of the term "reverse geocoding" either. But that's what it is called: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_geocoding

3. This used to happen for locations at sea. This has been addressed in HoudahGeo 2.3

4. Columns are available from the view menu. Starting with HoudahGeo 2.3, your column selection is persisted as a preference.

5. I have never heard a similar report. I would appreciate if you could provide screenshots as well as console log messages from Console.app

6. Neither of the two services available for reverse geocoding is perfect. Depending on photo location, one or the other service may provide better results. That's one more reason why the process is not kicked off automatically.

7. You may actually select several photos at a time and enter values in the Inspector that apply to all of them. This actually gives you more flexibility than a "fill down" command. You may also edit values directly in the main table. No need to go to the Inspector to just change a single value.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
Teaman
Hi Pierre
Yes I apologize for posting on an older version.  I had no idea there was a newer version till I decided to check manually after these issues arose.  I am used to Mac apps auto-prompting when a new version is available.  I was never prompted. My preferences show in 2.3 that it will check automatically but when I manually checked just now I get an error.  I'll include a screenshot of that.

1. My suggestion would be to have a preference that defaults to reverse geocode enabled.  Or maybe you can find a way to detect if internet connection is available. I feel this reverse geocoding happening transparently with the geocoding is pretty important feature.

2. I would go with the user-friendly term and not what Wiki calls it. Others may disagree but new users are the ones that will struggle with this. As a book I read recently ("Don't Make Me Think"... a very good book on UI design) the goal of UI is don't make the user think.  If they have to stop and think about what a label, term, or phrase means, it slows them down or confuses.  Make the UI obvious and clearly understood is my suggestion.

3. This was at or near the sea.    I'm glad 2.3 addresses this.

4. Thanks for making the column selections persistent in 2.3

5. I will attach the console log info from my entire session, filtered for just HoudahGeo app.  Things to note.
The errors in reverse geocoding don't log as errors.  I do notice however the "gaps" in the time log when the errors occurred.  This is because the popup dialog stopped the process until I "OK'd" the dialog msg. The first gap is 3 minutes since I had stepped away from the computer.  The remaining 4 gaps are shorter since I was sitting in front of the computer monitoring progress and OK'ing the popups. Times to note:
7:23:xx pm - 7:26:xx pm   first error
7:27:13-7:27:19  2nd error
7:27:21-7:27:24  3rd error
7:27:27-7:27:28  4th error (normally 4-5 photos per second, but not this sec.)
7:27:30-7:27:31  5th error
I'm sorry but I didn't think to take screenshots of the obscured button.  If I see it again I will do so and report it.  I later (after 7:30 pm) did more reverse geocoding and no errors occurred.  They were smaller batches and I would switch back and forth between the two sources for lookup.  Also note that about 11:35 pm I exited Geo and started up again in v2.3.  From that point on till bedtime, it's 2.3 version.
6. Yes I noticed services disagree with each other depending on location. This is too bad. I think from your perspective, just having the app prompt for the step of reverse geocoding and display the usual dialog box with choices for services would be adequate for me.  The prompt would remind that the step is ready to be done and at the proper location in the "flow".  I missed the step because it's too obscure and I was used to another geotagging app I have that does to it automatically and transparently. With reverse geocoding taking so long and exporting exif data taking so long and the reading of the new exif data into Lightroom for large batches of photos, it is frustrating to later find out that I missed a step.

7. Didn't know this. Thanks for the tip!

Click image for larger version - Name: HoudahGeo_Update_Error.gif, Views: 6, Size: 10.26 KB
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thank you for the feedback.

I do have quite a few ideas on how to streamline the geocoding process in the future. I have just not settled on one yet.

Errors reported during reverse geocoding are usually due to lack of response from the server. This is often caused by an outage of the Internet connection. This is also what the software update feature has reported. I just tested it hear and found it to be working fine.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0