Clicky

JamesCarscadden
Hello all,

I'm trying to tag a bunch of photos in my Aperture 2 library. Most everything seems to work like you would expect:

- Choose the aperture 2 project pictures from the library browser
- Import my gpx track
- Pictures are matched up just fine eg:

_MG_1681.jpg         14/02/09 2:21:28 PM         45.408870         -79.657870         303.000000        

- Write to tags:
- Selected images only - unchecked
- Geocoded images only - checked
- Tag masters / originals - checked
- Create copies - unchecked
- Always write XMP sidecar - unchecked
- Write: only coordinates and altitude checked.

Unfortunately, while I would expect this to tag my master images (and then update the exif data in aperture) it doesn't seem to work. Checking the master files (.CR2 raw files) shows no GPS data in the exif tags.

Looking at the log we see the problem:

EXIFExport.m:829 exiftool -P -m -q -q -a -gps:gpslatitude=45.40887 -gps:gpslatituderef=N -xmp:gpslatitude=45.40887 -gps:gpslongitude=79.65787 -gps:gpslongituderef=W -xmp:gpslongitude=-79.65787 -gps:gpsaltitude=303.00000 -gps:gpsaltituderef=above -xmp:gpsaltitude=303.00000 -iptc:codedcharacterset=UTF8 -overwrite_original_in_place /Users/james/Pictures/Aperture Library.aplibrary/Untitled Project (2).approject/2009-02-16 @ 10:54:10 AM - 1.apimportgroup/_MG_1681/Previews/_MG_1681.jpg

Despite the Tag masters/originals being checked, it is still tagging the preview image - confirmed by checking the exif tags with exiv2.

Anyone know why this might not be working properly?

Thanks

James
0 0
houdah
Hi!

The tag masters/originals feature requires iWork/iLife integration in Aperture to be enabled.

HoudahGeo will then try to work its way from the preview image to the master image. If it succeeds, it will tag the master.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
JamesCarscadden
Share Previews with iLife and iWork was and is checked in my Aperture preferences (is this the setting that you mean?).

Could this be the result of an incompatibility between Aperture and the new iWork/iLife 09 version?

Thanks

James
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Indeed, the "share previews" option is what is needed for HoudahGeo to locate masters.

Where is the master image located?
How did import the image into HoudahGeo?

Could you please email me the following file: ~/Pictures/Aperture Library.aplibrary/Aperture.aplib

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
JamesCarscadden
-- The preview file from the original post is at:

/Users/james/Pictures/Aperture Library.aplibrary/Untitled Project (2).approject/2009-02-16 @ 10:54:10 AM - 1.apimportgroup/_MG_1681/Previews/_MG_1681.jpg

-- The master is managed by aperture and is at:

/Users/james/Pictures/Aperture Library.aplibrary/Untitled Project (2).approject/2009-02-16 @ 10:54:10 AM - 1.apimportgroup/_MG_1681/2009-02-14 at 14-21-28.CR2

-- I imported the pictures into HoudahGeo using the "Add Images from Library" button, selected the appropriate album in the aperture tree, selected all images and dragged them into HoudahGeo list.

-- My Aperture.aplib is a directory containing several files and is 30mb compressed. Where can I send it, or what information can I supply to you from those files?

0 0
houdah
Hi!

I understood what the problem is. HoudahGeo expects the preview and the master to share the same name except for the extension. I am surprised that this does not apply to your Aperture library.

I would like to see the Library.apdb file found within ~/Pictures/Aperture Library.aplibrary/Aperture.aplib

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
JamesCarscadden
Ahhh, I see the problem then. I don't know that the Aperture.aplib file will help then, but you can get it at http://www.bluedonkeygroup.ca/~james/Library.apdb.zip (be warned, it's large)

The option that causes this is I think occuring on import. When I import files from my camera to Aperture I Set some import options:

-- Store Files: In Aperture Library
-- Version Name: Image Date/Time
-- Apply to Master Filenames is CHECKED

That last option is likely the problem. The preview image gets the filename from the camera, while the master file name and any subsequent version names are set to a date/time stamp.

Thus the easy fix presumably would be for me not to import files and change the master file name, except that this figures heavily in my workflow (so I'd rather not), not to mention that there is now no good way to change the names of previous imports.

There is an option in aperture to re-generate previews, but unfortunately it continues to use the un-altered filename.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
0 0
houdah
Hi!

I will work on an update to HoudahGeo to fix this issue.

I am hoping to find a hint to the alternate name from your Library file.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0
scooper4711
Hello,
I have the same issue, but I don't rename my photos. Basically, I was hoping to use HoudahGeo to tag existing photos in my Aperture library. Including photos I have already retouched. The master NEF file is named _DSC2344.NEF, while the preview is located in a Previews sub-folder and is named _DSC2344_2.jpg.

Poking around in the apversion files in the same directory as the master, I found that Version-2.apversion has the following key:
fullSizePreviewPath
this points to the jpg loaded in HoudahGeo.

So one possible solution would be to search all *.apversion files in the parent directory for the jpg, and find the one whos fullSizePreviewPath matches the path of the jpg. Then use the key fileName to find the master.

An alternate implementation would be to open the file ../OriginalVersionInfo.apversion and use that same key. (e.g. omit searching for the apversion which matches the path of the preview.)

Please update this thread when you've solved the issue. I'd also be willing to beta test if needed. Thanks for a cool, easy to use app!
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Thanks for looking into this.

Best,
Pierre Bernard

0 0