Clicky

macguyincali
Hi:

I have some old Houdah Geo .hgeo files in old projects and I wanted to export just the GPS data, without the picture data.  Is there a way to get the old waypoint GPS data back as a regular GPS Track file (say GPX or something).

I'm using it to add tracks to Aperture.

-JP
0 0
houdah
Hi!

More recent version of HoudahGeo have introduced a track library feature. When enabled HoudahGeo stores GPX files in the specified folder. Please have a look there.

Unfortunately, there is no function built into HoudahGeo to extract track files out of project.

You could retrieve some of the track information using SQLite. This would however require some heavy lifting. Moreover you will not find the complete track log information. HoudahGeo only stores what it need to perform geotagging.

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
macguyincali
Thanks Pierre for your response. I wonder why you guys would choose not to include that as a function.  As much as I like using HG, this is a concerning realization as it appears as though the software is attempting to lock me into its proprietary format.  Had I known this, I would have preserved the original track data separately, since there are obviously other uses for it besides phototagging in HG.  For example, fitness software, diaries, mapping software, Google Earth (without photos) and other photo software, especially years after the fact.  Most people tend to use a variety of different software and being locked into one seems to be poor form. 

Maybe it is a technical issue, which if it is, I guess I might understand.  Limited resources often make it hard to include necessary features in software for small companies.  I would highly recommend you incorporate this feature because its absence only serves to alienate existing (paying) customers who presumably have loyally used your software.  Its absence definitely doesn't help you to acquire new customers and bad word-of-mouth, poor references, and negative blog postings or comments could have the opposite effect. 

Sorry if I sound sour about it but recently I tried to reconstruct a trip several years ago and the only files I had were the HG files.  Unfortunately, these were of no use to me since they were linked to a photo folder that doesn't exist anymore (photos that have long been imported, tagged, adjusted in iPhoto).  I can't see why I would need to keep a HG file around if its only function is a phototagging interface. Phototagging is done once, I assume. 

I guess, had I thought of it at the time, I probably should have safeguarded the original track data and kept it in a separate folder rather than import it into HG and then delete the data.  Might want to remind people of that (if you haven't already).

Sincerely, 

-JP
0 0
houdah
Hi!

Unfortunately, this feature cannot be retrofitted. HoudahGeo only keeps the minimum amount of track information needed for geocoding. I.e. versions of HoudahGeo which did not support speed or direction readings, did not read in this information. Even with the most recent version of HoudahGeo, there is still lots of information found in GPX track log files which is ignored by HoudahGeo as it does not serve geocoding.

That's why we have always recommended our customers keep backup copies of their track log files. We actually provide the free HoudahGPS application for that purpose.

Seeing that few customers take that recommendation to heat, we have added the track library feature. Here track logs are archived in standard GPX format. No matter of the project is saved or not.

There are several uses to geotagging. You could be tagging for archival purposes or tagging for publishing.

Saving the HoudahGeo project mostly serves those tagging for publishing. They may publish repeatedly to different services: Google Earth, Flickr, Locr, …

Have you checked the HoudahGeo track library to see if you find your track log file there?

Best,
Pierre Bernard
Houdah Software s.à r.l.

Houdah Software s. à r. l.
https://www.houdah.com

HoudahGeo: One-stop photo geocoding
HoudahSpot: Advanced file search utility
Tembo: Easy and effective file search
0 0
macguyincali
Ah, Pierre.  Of course, I should have been more thoughtful with my GPS files... that is my fault and I accept responsibility for that failure. In the future, I will be more rigorous and will keep the data separate.  That is, until Nikon finally includes GPS functionality in their pro-sumer level cameras (which will be a good long while, I'm fairly sure).

My old GPS files are not in the track library since I don't think the feature had been implemented at that point.  Thanks for taking time to respond.

Sincerely, JP
0 0